Proxmox drive config

creaky

Oct 16, 2018
I have a small 1 node proxmox setup for playing around with at home and have added a new hard drive, this is the current setup

upload_2019-7-21_11-4-46.png
upload_2019-7-21_11-9-10.png

QNAP-VMServer - QNAP NAS
data-storage - WD Red hard drive
r1-samsungevo860 - 2 Samsung 860 in a ZFS pool.

I would like to use the WD Red as a backup drive for the system but it's showing as LVM. Is there a way of changing that so I can store backups on the drive.

I also assumed the samsung860's were being used to run the hosts, but they appear to be empty. Can this be changed?

Hi, how did you install Proxmox VE? Or better asked, which drive did you select during installation?
Candidates would be the NVMe or the WD hard disk.

If it's the NVMe you'd be fine to use the WD disk as backup space. I guess that this disk is a repurposed one, ad so had still a LVM on it?
As we currently do not support zapping/clearing a disk and it's partitions over the WebGUI you'd need to do this yourself over a shell.

Code:
 # WARNING: below is destructive, triple check you got the correct device!!
sgdisk --zap-all /dev/sdc

From then you can use the WebUI again, under Node -> Disks -> Directory you should be able to create a new directory storage using the WD disk.

Apologies for the very late reply.

Proxmox VE should have been installed on the NVMe drive. Is there anyway of checking that?

The WD drive ewas removed from an old system but Proxmox does appear to be using it

upload_2019-8-4_16-25-21.png

What I want to achive is the following

NVMe - Run the OS and nothing else
Samsung 860 drives - Run the actual VM's
The WD drive - Use for backups only
QNAP NAS - Shared space for any mapped drives for the VM's

Is this at all possible to configure with the above drive setup?

Apologies for the very late reply.

Also apologies for my late reply, summer vacation :)

Proxmox VE should have been installed on the NVMe drive. Is there anyway of checking that?

Yes, from your screenshots you used the default LVM + LVM-thin installation mode (which fits your desired disk setup just fine), so you can go to the WebUI, "Node -> Disks -> LVM" panel, there look on which device the "pve" volume group (VG) is located, it hosts your PVE root Logical Volume. You could also do:
Code:
pvdisplay /dev/nvme0n1

And see if the VG Name is "pve".

The WD drive ewas removed from an old system but Proxmox does appear to be using it

Did you already created a Directory storage on it? As then yes, it's (by default) added to proxmox VE as a storage again, you should see it under Datacenter -> Storages.

NVMe - Run the OS and nothing else
Samsung 860 drives - Run the actual VM's
The WD drive - Use for backups only
QNAP NAS - Shared space for any mapped drives for the VM's

Is this at all possible to configure with the above drive setup?

Yes, your wanted configuration would be possible. As far as I can tell the NVMe part is already correct, at least if you selected it as target during installation (you can recheck this, see above).
The Samsung 860's are already a ZFS pool, so as long as you select that storage (called "r1samsuns860evo" in your config) then the VM/CT disks are hosted there.
If you selected the wrong storage for a disk you can always move it later on to the correct, wanted, storage. Go to the VMs Hardware panel, select the respective disk and click "Move Disk" for that.

You can also edit the storages allowed content type to ensure you do not accidentially select the wrong storage for disks, or the wrong for backups.
Screenshot_2019-08-21 nina - Proxmox Virtual Environment.png

For example, if only "Disk Image" is selected only VM disk image will be allowed and shown. If only "Backup" is selected then the storage won't be shown when creating a new VM or Disk.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!