[SOLVED] Proxmox does not boot anymore: grub rescue "error: no such device / unknown file system"

kiloxpor

May 5, 2021
I was just working on something and decided to attach an ssd to a free slot in my supermicro superserver machine where I am running Proxmox, while it was still on. After I rebooted, Proxmox does not come up anymore and I am greeted by a Grub rescue screen. I have tried to reboot several times leaving everything as it was before the problem but no success in bringing Proxmox back to life.

Here is the screenshot:

Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 21.35.19.png
I would really appreciate any hints as to what is going on and how to fix it.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply and the info... It was actually an issue with the boot order being messed up following my attempt to attach the new ssd, which I fixed easily in the bios... I just do not understand why this happened but well it was easy to fix.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!