Proxmox could be HyperVM/Kloxo alternative.

X

xor

I keep reading here and there people suggesting Proxmox as an HyperVM/Kloxo alternative, but every time someone does someone else comes along and reminds everyone that Proxmox doesn't have client management.

Wouldn't it be better to bump that feature a bit in the priority list?

An interface with a couple of buttons to let the client reboot and reload it's VPS would go a long way.

I don't think its that important. And see what happens when you add too many features, you end up with a dead developer, because more features, more space for errors. I personaly think that proxmox has all needed, except a failover cluster function / at least I don't know of such /

I think your view of what should be included in a virtualization platform is a little minimalistic, in the bad sense. Fortunately the developers don't share that view, which is clear in the ProxmoxVE roadmap.

What I'm discussing here is not whether this feature should be included or not, it is already in the roadmap, it will eventually be added, fortunately.

However given the current void in the virtualization platform market left by HyperVM, Proxmox would probably benefit from not only speeding up development but also focusing on the features providers miss the most.

However given the current void in the virtualization platform market left by HyperVM, Proxmox would probably benefit from not only speeding up development but also focusing on the features providers miss the most.

Please can you specify whats exactly needed?

This is very good conversation...

I think what happens to HyperVM should be an warning (not only a great opportunity to gain some market share) beside of the fact that what happen to the HyperVM major developer was a fatally and such a bad news for everybody in the community.

What can we do to be sure Proxmox will not suffer from the same (or similar) security issues of HyperVM?

My understand is that PVE was initially build to be a platform for the Enterprise and not necessary for VHosting sellers, that why features like the advanced user management + user portal are less important in the priority list.

Maybe we can create a pool so people can vote for what features they would like to see first.

I would vote for Flexible storage pools and Better DRBD support. I also think that Resource monitoring is more important than User management (advanced. But that is my personal opinion.

Anyway, PVE is a great product and I am very glad to be using it in our company in more than 10 servers and also at home for testing and R&D.

Thanks Proxmox guys! You are "la ostia" :)

Regards,
chopeta

My types to make Proxmox VE a truly professional product:

- shared storage - already in works,

- resource monitoring (mainly bandwidth used, but if possible - on block devices - also IO - see iostat); some actions would be nice here: allow only 1 Mbit up; 2 Mbit down; after exceeding 100 GB monthly, drop the speed to 256/512 kbit up/down etc.

- allow web interface (not system) users other than root, and let them control/access their own virtual machines (or groups of virtual machines); root should control what each user can do (maximum number of virtual machines, maximum storage, RAM, bandwidth etc.)

- on host reboot or halt, allow to choose what to do with the guest: halt (like now), or save the state (and resume after the host boots up - similar to Xen)

- fixing some remaining bugs - virtio_net problems, guest crashes upon host boot, when there are ~10 or more guests ;)

I already mentioned it in the OP. For virtualization providers user management is a big point. Clients these days expect easy to access VPS control, so they can reboot, halt, rebuild, backup, etc their VPSs easily. Just take a look at Kloxo and you'll get an idea of the sort of features people expect from VPS providers these days.

As mentioned in this thread resource management is also important but I personally managed to do it with out help from Proxmox, I still can't show bandwidth graphs to my clients in a unified interface, but VPS controls seems more important.

If a simple ticket system could be added to the client management, even if by installing a plugin, it would be great, a billing system, again even if through a plugin, would also be welcomed, firewall, dns, and other important services are not immediately important but would be convenient as well. Like I said, peek at Kloxo's features and you'll get a good idea of what I'm talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
I already mentioned it in the OP. For virtualization providers user management is a big point. Clients these days expect easy to access VPS control, so they can reboot, halt, rebuild, backup, etc their VPSs easily. Just take a look at Kloxo and you'll get an idea of the sort of features people expect from VPS providers these days.

Kloxo was a Web CP for webhosting based server.
HyperVM was a Web CP for managing OpenVZ and Xen based VM.

Reading proxmox documentation, Proxmox VE is focusing on in house server consolidation rather than vps hosting, thus the feature set is/will be slightly different.

Best Regards

Kloxo was a Web CP for webhosting based server.
HyperVM was a Web CP for managing OpenVZ and Xen based VM.

Reading proxmox documentation, Proxmox VE is focusing on in house server consolidation rather than vps hosting, thus the feature set is/will be slightly different.

Best Regards
All Proxmox needs to be considered for VPS hosting is client management, which is on the roadmap, whatever the focus ProxmoxVE might have now, it wouldn't be wise to let that focus blind them from new opportunities.

ProxmoxVE is already being made available to every OVH client, several of whom have an interest in hosting. I think ProxmoxVE, without even changing the contents of it's roadmap(perhaps the order though), can present to it's users a feature set that allows them to consider this platform for VPS hosting. When such a big hole has been left in the market, is it really wise not to focus on it?

All Proxmox needs to be considered for VPS hosting is client management, which is on the roadmap, whatever the focus ProxmoxVE might have now, it wouldn't be wise to let that focus blind them from new opportunities.

ProxmoxVE is already being made available to every OVH client, several of whom have an interest in hosting. I think ProxmoxVE, without even changing the contents of it's roadmap(perhaps the order though), can present to it's users a feature set that allows them to consider this platform for VPS hosting. When such a big hole has been left in the market, is it really wise not to focus on it?

The roadmap states for "User management (advanced)".
Other listed features are extremely valuable too. Just wait :)

Best Regards

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!