Proxmox Configs live Linux Recovery

angelkiller

Renowned Member
May 12, 2015
Hello to everyone,

i try to learn how to recover config files from proxmox node for disaster recovery. I also have all my configs backuped but i am interested what to do when no backup was done.
I created a vm and installed proxmox 6.3 inside with a single disk and zfs0. Now i tried to boot with a ubuntu 20 live disk and i can import the zfs pool rpool in this way:

zpool import rpool
cd /mnt
mkdir proxmox
zfs set mountpoint=/mnt/proxmox /rpool/ROOT/pve-1
zfs mount rpool/ROOT/pve-1
cd /mnt/proxmox

ls show me the proxmox installation folders bin, dev, home etc.
When looking inside the etc/pve folder it is empty and i do not see the storage cfg and all the other config files. it is completly empty.

Can someone point me in the right direction what to do from here to get the config files?

Thanks

hi,

When looking inside the etc/pve folder it is empty and i do not see the storage cfg and all the other config files. it is completly empty.
the /etc/pve/ folder is a fuse subsystem backed by the sqlite database file in /var/lib/pve-cluster/config.db

this is only mounted when the cluster filesystem is running.

placing the file in correct location (/var/lib/pve-cluster/config.db) and booting the node should restore the contents of /etc/pve

Hi oguz,

many thanks for yout hint. I can see inside live linux system and mounted rpool the config.db under /var/lib/pve-cluster.
If i understand it correctly, i only need to backup this single file and can setup a new pve and replace the config.db with the backup config.db and everything is up and running as befor a crash? Will try it with my vm.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!