Proxmox cluster with local ZFS storage: zpool create issue

mppt

Apr 9, 2021
We had a single Proxmox node with local ZFS storage. After a few months, we have added a second node, so we have created a cluster on the node 1 and added the node 2. Both nodes have local storage.

We were going to create the storage pool at the second node with the same name used at node 1 (/tank), but after the execution of the "zpool create tank..." command, an error message is shown: the /tank directory already exists at the second node.

We have not created that /tank mount point yet. In fact, we were in the process of creation. After listing that directory, we found that there is a directory named "iso" that also exists in node 1, so we think that after joining the cluster, the node 2 has received that /tank/iso directory.

Is it safe to remove the /tank (and the inner iso) directory at node 2 (rm -f /tank) and then execute again the "zpool create tank..." command?

Thanks!

The "iso" storage, of type Directory, was defined at node 1. I marked it to be available only at node 1 (not sure if this step was mandatory).
On node2, I removed /tank directory
On node 2, I created the zpool (zpool create tank...)
On node 1, I marked "iso" storage available for all nodes.

SOLVED.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!