Proxmox Cluster with 2 nodes on OVH

muko

May 14, 2021
All,

I'm stuck on the installation of two nodes (one in Canada and one in France) in cluster.
The setup went fine, the upgrade too. On both nodes.

Now the steps I'm following are:

1- To properly configure the eth interfaces attached to the vRack
2- To create the cluster
3- To join the second node into the cluster
4- Install and setup Ceph

Cluster and Ceph are using the interface connected on the vRack, hosts files are properly configured and I've double checked that hostnames can be resolved.
MTU are exactly the same (I tried both 1500 and 9000)

Apparently everything is configured fine but the cluster loses quorum almost every 10 seconds and I still get Ceph Ealth issues.

Any suggestion on how to solve the issue?

EDIT: I also tried to add an external quorum device

A Cluster with only two nodes will always provide you with trouble -> the thing is called split brain

A long distance could also give trouble (latencies in corosync are bad)

And now:

CEPH needs at least 3 nodes!
CEPH is very latency dependant. If you want to see a decent performance for your VM's create a 3 node cluster at both sites.

you can use remote mirroring in CEPH, but keep latencies in mind, as long as nobody invents hyper light speed transmissions ;-)

A Cluster with only two nodes will always provide you with trouble -> the thing is called split brain

A long distance could also give trouble (latencies in corosync are bad)

And now:

CEPH needs at least 3 nodes!
CEPH is very latency dependant. If you want to see a decent performance for your VM's create a 3 node cluster at both sites.

you can use remote mirroring in CEPH, but keep latencies in mind, as long as nobody invents hyper light speed transmissions ;-)
Thanks but now I only have two nodes. Are there any issue in having the cluster without ceph and install it later when having the third node?
Maybe I will not use migration but this could not be an issue

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!