Proxmox cluster ... Which cluster?

mimcris

Aug 21, 2008
Turin
I'm happily playing with Proxmox VE and I'm really surprised for the excellent work done!
I've seen the video help and I've setup a server in 30 minutes hosting 5 VPS (mixed Linux with OpenVZ) and 1 VPS (WinXP with KVM) and all is perfectly working since last march.

When you say "CLUSTER" you mean:
a) two or more independent servers manageable from one of them (the master) with the capability to move VPS from one to another?
b) two servers mirrored (as if they were RSYNC'ed or DRBD'ed) to assure HighAvailability?
c) or something else I've not yet discovered?

Is it available a user/reference manual of Proxmox VE? (paying :)))

Thanks and congratulations.
Mimmo

I'm happily playing with Proxmox VE and I'm really surprised for the excellent work done!
I've seen the video help and I've setup a server in 30 minutes hosting 5 VPS (mixed Linux with OpenVZ) and 1 VPS (WinXP with KVM) and all is perfectly working since last march.

a) two or more independent servers manageable from one of them (the master) with the capability to move VPS from one to another?
b) two servers mirrored (as if they were RSYNC'ed or DRBD'ed) to assure HighAvailability?
c) or something else I've not yet discovered?

Is it available a user/reference manual of Proxmox VE? (paying :)))

Thanks and congratulations.
Mimmo

Pls see http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Proxmox_VE_Cluster

The upcoming Proxmox VE 2.x (about mid of 2009) will change the game a bit and you can expect a lot more.

Thanks, Tom, but I'm still confused, sorry!
Looking at Administration-Server I see two services named ClusterSync and ClusterTunnel and I imagine these two services perform a VPN tunnel and something like a RSYNC between two or more servers.
If this is true the sync service updates the full slave machine copying all the master or it applies only to the containers (/vz/private/101 ... 102 ... 103 ... etc.)?
Waiting for Proxmox 2.0 I'll play around with 1.1.
Thanks again
Mimmo

Thanks, Tom, but I'm still confused, sorry!
Looking at Administration-Server I see two services named ClusterSync and ClusterTunnel and I imagine these two services perform a VPN tunnel and something like a RSYNC between two or more servers.
If this is true the sync service updates the full slave machine copying all the master or it applies only to the containers (/vz/private/101 ... 102 ... 103 ... etc.)?
Waiting for Proxmox 2.0 I'll play around with 1.1.
Thanks again
Mimmo

Virtual machines (Container and KVM guests) are not synchronized in the current Proxmox VE 1.x.

Proxmox VE 2.x will provide the possibility to store the VM´s on a SAN (and then you start a container or KVM guest on another node in the case of failure of the host as the files are on the storage server) and it is also a basis for using DRBD.

Yes, and we also sync some configuration data and templates.

- Dietmar

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!