Proxmox CIFS Store "ISO"-only as "Read-Only" possible?

Chris&Patte

Renowned Member
Sep 3, 2013
Hello,
i would like to add a Windows Share, which holds all our Software-Installers and OS-ISOs, to Proxmox so that i can install ISO into new VMs WITHOUT first copying the iso to the local Proxmox-ISO-storage.
The problem is that this does not work if the Proxmox connects with a user that has no write-access to that share because Proxmox want to create some folders in those share.

If i try it with a share called "Software", i got this error-message
Code:
mkdir /mnt/pve/Software/template: Permission denied at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Storage/Plugin.pm line 952. (500)

Is it possible to add a ISO-storage on a CIFS WITHOUT write access and without Proxmox trying to create folders?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
OK, i also tried now a second way.
Mounting the CIFS-share manually in a mount-point at Proxmox OS-level and then adding a "Folder"-Storage in Proxmox-GUI.

However, it again showed the same problems

• Proxmox ALWAYS tries to create his own folder structure (e.g. /mountpoint/templates/iso) below the mountpoint.
  • Proxmox DID not show files that are NOT copied via Proxmox into the storage

It seems there is no way to use a already existing iso-storage somewhere in the network. There seems no way to prevent Proxmox from using his own folder-structure.

OK, i now hacked around a little bit about those restrictions, but in the end, well, such a scenario is not supported by Proxmox even if i think this is often seen.

i now created a local mountpoint /mnt/OS/template/iso and mounted my Share (which holds all iso in subfolders) into it.
Then i created a Folder-Storage(ISOs only) pointing to /mnt/ISO. This circumevents the creating of subfolders by Proxmox.
The problem is now that Proxmox-GUI shows ONLY the iso-files directly in those folder/share BUT NOT the ones stored in subfolders and displays also not the subfolders, making the whole thing unusable.

Well, this for that. Would be a nice thing if Proxmox would just allow (for storage like ISO-storage) to add a CIFS read-only AND using the WHOLE folderstructure just to access already existing read-only files.
Mostly Proxmox came into a enterprise AFTER they defined there storage structure....

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!