[SOLVED] Proxmox Ceph Zabbix

tadiosabebe

Aug 11, 2023
In case this helps someone.
Today, I was testing proxmox ceph cluster monitoring with the ceph built in zabbix monitoring module and followed the following ceph documentation on doing so https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/mgr/zabbix/. But since I want to monitor my the cluster through proxy I had to change the zabbix_port, and in addition I changed the interval key too.

The problem was when trying to change the above two values using ceph zabbix config-set interval 120 and ceph zabbix config-set zabbix_port 10061 both return an error saying "Failed to update configuration option interval"

In addition it creates an error in the ceph health summary dashboard saying something like cannot handle commands: '>' not supported between instances of 'str' and 'int'
when looking into these error messages I found out that when running ceph zabbix config-set interval 120 and ceph zabbix config-set zabbix_port 10061 both these values are set to a string value instead of integer(what they should be). looking inside the the code located inside /usr/share/ceph/mgr/zabbix/module.py the function set_config_option seems to be the responsible function for setting these values and it has a block of code to change the values for 'zabbix_port', 'interval', 'discovery_interval' to integer but I dont know why this is not working.

Anyways the work around I found to be working is once setting these values, if we disable and enable the ceph zabbix module it seem it changes the values to the correct type. so in order to changing this values and zabbix monitoring to work properly
Bash:
ceph zabbix config-set interval 120
ceph zabbix config-set zabbix_port 10061
ceph mgr module disable zabbix
ceph mgr module enable zabbix

and finally check if the key values are correct with ceph zabbix config-show

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!