Proxmox can't find my second NIC

Saihtam

Sep 18, 2017
Hello everyone!

So I've had this problem with my additional NIC ever since I installed the server. An Intel 82576 E1G42ET.
It was never listed with the "lspci" command so I tried rebooting the server countless times including removing the NIC between reboots. After several attempts it magically appeared in both "lspci" and the Proxmox so I started getting to work with the pfSense VM I had planned. During the install I got an error about the Proxmox installation being out of date so I downloaded all the latest updates via the apt-get commands and rebooted.

But since then, the NIC is not recognized anymore... I have tried numerous reboots/poweroffs and removing/installing the NIC with no success. I have verified that the NIC is fully functional by using it with a bare metal pfSense installation before and the lights are green when I connect cables to it so it's probably not defective.

Any ideas about this mysterious problem?

It looks like your NIC is defective or is not sitting properly in the PCI slot.

Reactions: Saihtam
I agree with Alwin, I would remove the card, use eraser to gently scrub the contacts, and then isopropyl alcohol or windex on the contacts.
Can you also try another PCI-E slot? Also, if you aren't using the onboard motherboard NIC, try disabling it in BIOS. And also update your motherboard's BIOS and replace the CMOS battery.
One other thing, also type at root console "dmesg" and check for any errors related to your NIC like this:
e1000e 0000:00:19.0 eth1: Detected Hardware Unit Hang:
e1000e 0000:00:19.0 eth1: Reset adapter unexpectedly
That will show possible issues with a faulty NIC card.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saihtam
It looks like your NIC is defective or is not sitting properly in the PCI slot.

I agree with Alwin, I would remove the card, use eraser to gently scrub the contacts, and then isopropyl alcohol or windex on the contacts.
Can you also try another PCI-E slot? Also, if you aren't using the onboard motherboard NIC, try disabling it in BIOS. And also update your motherboard's BIOS and replace the CMOS battery.
One other thing, also type at root console "dmesg" and check for any errors related to your NIC like this:
e1000e 0000:00:19.0 eth1: Detected Hardware Unit Hang:
e1000e 0000:00:19.0 eth1: Reset adapter unexpectedly
That will show possible issues with a faulty NIC card.

Thanks for your replies!

1. Unfortunately I neither have Windex or Isopropyl alcohol at home, but would any type of glass cleaner do the job? I don't think Windex is sold here in Sweden.

2. The motherboard in question only has one PCI-E slot unfortunately.

3. The machine I'm using is an older OEM Acer Predator desktop computer, so I doubt there's any BIOS updates available but I'll take a look.

4. dmesg doesn't seem to show any red error message and I have tried to look for any error related to the PCI devices but I can't seem to find one.

Isn't it kind of weird though how the card worked for me on a bare metal pfSense installation in anoter computer, combined with the fact that the lights are green on the card when I connect a cable? Isn't that a total confirmation that this is some kind of software issue?

Isn't it kind of weird though how the card worked for me on a bare metal pfSense installation in anoter computer, combined with the fact that the lights are green on the card when I connect a cable? Isn't that a total confirmation that this is some kind of software issue?
Not necessarily, it could be incompatible with the motherboard, or the PCIe slot was not clean, when you plugged in the card. Also NICs have firmwares.

ok,
#1. what other posters meen is , Windex is a very much an all purpose cleaner in Computer world here in US because it is proven to be safe for most (! NOT ALL !) computer surfaces etc. but if you do not have it, try medical grade alcohol. here in US it is "Isopropyl" alcohol but you can safely use vodka of almost any grade instead, I am sure you have vodka in Sweden:). it just have to be an clear alcohol with no additives or coloring.

#2 ,#3 and #4 is self explaining so skipping that.

but it is not weird that it might have worked in the other PC. it was a different MB after all, maybe a newer with newer BIOS. I would still check out the bios for any settings or anything regarding PCI bus or slot.
also power settings, you might haveing problem with Power supply that turns card off when the energy drops.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!