Proxmox Becomes Unreachable

tsadigov

Nov 27, 2021
I hope there is an easy approach to handle my torture. I had a proxmox setup used till a week ago.

My setup:
I use GPU passthrough so that my AI guest VM can use gpu accelaration. Because of the settings required by pci passthrough vga output from host is disabled. I have 2 ethernet ports on the motherboard.

Problem:
Suddenly my proxmox became unreachable. The web ui does not work. I can not ssh into it. I can ping it.

What I did:
I ended up reinstalling proxmox from scratch. I also switched to second ethernet port. Which looked fine. I copied some db files from the old storage to the new one so my VM s are there.

Result I got:
Initially it looks like everything is working. I can boot my existing VM s except the one requiring pci passthrough. But when I try to set up the pci passthrough somehow I manage to lock the system in a similar way that it was locked initially. It is 6 th time I am reinstalling the proxmox and I strart wondering if it has something to do with disabling nvidia drivers or some modprobe changes. It feels like I am halucinating. Wanted to ask sane ppl

Hi,

can you verify that your network controller and your GPU are in different IOMMU groups? Please post the output of this [1] script.

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF#Ensuring_that_the_groups_are_valid
Thanks for suggestion.
It seems to be better now, I added pcie_acs_override=downstream ... into grub
So I assume your point was right
And that may explain why I was able ping but not ssh into the machine. Probably I was talking to the guest machine that is automatically started.
I cant go back to failing setup to put run that script, but will run it if I will have to set up from scratch so that search engines index it also :).

Again thank you @nunner

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!