Proxmox Backup Server - Namespace Query

itNGO

Jun 12, 2020
Germany
it-ngo.com
Ok, we have Namespaces in PBS where we have Backups from different Clusters in differente Namespaces.
We divide this by VM-ID using 3 Octets for each Customer-VM-Farm. Like Customer A 192168001,192168002 and so on, Customer B 192169001, 192168002 and so on.

To restore VM from Customer A to another Cluster we need to add another PBS-Storage with the Namespace entered? Is there no way to add just the root and query through the namespaces like you already can inside PBS Datastore/Datastore/Content?

If not, this would mean adding about 200 Namesspaces PBS-Servers to each cluster to be prepared for fast "disaster-recovery" of a customer VMs. Wondering how much traffic an performance that might take from each cluster, while the nodes are testing if storage is available every few seconds....

no, PVE currently doesn't have a way to recursively query namespaces of a PBS server..

Reactions: herzkerl
no, PVE currently doesn't have a way to recursively query namespaces of a PBS server..
Yeah I thought so..... is this something that will be done some day or already on a roadmap as an option?

might happen at some point, but I don't think it's very high up our list of things to do. the disaster recovery case is simply solved by adding a single PBS storage entry with the correct namespace.. if you permanently add all namespaces of all clusters to all clusters, you've effectively removed the boundary between the namespaces anyway (i.e., the potential for accidents is high in that sort of scenario!)

Reactions: itNGO

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!