Proxmox backup Server external storage

rafaelkkksalgado

Aug 3, 2021
Good evening!

how do I connect an external storage to my proxmox backup server? For example, turn on an ibm storage, or turn on a Truenas pool on my server, instead of saving to local disks. I didn't find documentation about.

Proxmox
Backup Server 2.0-4

for backup server you need a block device like/via SAS, iscsi, FC, an image file, ne hdd
ethernet is no block device protocol - its part of the network layer system

Last edited:
para o servidor de backup, você precisa de um dispositivo de bloco como SAS, iscsi, FC, um arquivo de imagem
ethernet não é um protocolo de dispositivo de bloco - é parte do sistema da camada de rede
Truenas have iscsi, can use Truenas ?

this is not yet implemented in the gui. so u have to use the console. maybe you have to install iscsi packages and so on..
search the internet for "configure iscsi initiator on debian"

Last edited:
Reactions: rafaelkkksalgado
you can also install backup server direct on truenas. this will be the better structure design, but i dont know your enviroment

SMB and NFS are working fine. You just need to mount them yourself using fstab. Then you can use that mountpoint the usual way as a normal datastore. But keep in mind that performance will be bad if you use a network share instead of local disks.
Don't know how PBS 2.0 will do, but PSB 1.X wasn't installable inside a VM on TrueNAS. Needed to install a Debian10 instead and install PBS optop of that.

Last edited:
No. Backup datastore need xfs, ext4 or zfs to work. Look in the docu!

I can only marvel at this. I translate the docu:
"A datastore refers to a location at which backups are stored. The current implementation uses a
directory inside a standard Unix file system (ext4, xfs or zfs) to store the backup data."
So i have to correct me - i understood it wrong. good job

Last edited:
I can only marvel at this. I translate the docu:
"A datastore refers to a location at which backups are stored. The current implementation uses a
directory inside a standard Unix file system (ext4, xfs or zfs) to store the backup data."
So i have to correct me - i understand it wrong. good job
Yeah, so its just a normal directory and it needs atime, unix right management and so on so because of that a normal unix filesystem is needed.
But a NFS share got all that. And I am quite sure a SMB share should work too even if it is not fully unix compliant.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!