Proxmox Backup Server 3.0 available

After the upgrade I get this error in my Dashboard - Datastore Usage -Pane : unable to open chunk store 'backups2' at "/mnt/datastore/backups2/.chunks" - No such file or directory (os error 2)

I Did not actively delete any files... just upgraded ...
Rebooting did not solve this...
How can I fix this?

Did you check if that datastore is actually mounted? How did you create the datastore?

It was already mounted under version 2. After the upgraded to version 3, I do see under the tab Datastore "Backups2" . But in the Summery tab of backups2 it just keeps indicating "datastore is not available"

Hi,
It was already mounted under version 2. After the upgraded to version 3, I do see under the tab Datastore "Backups2" . But in the Summery tab of backups2 it just keeps indicating "datastore is not available"
as @Dunuin already said, please check that the datastore is actually mounted. You can check with e.g. findmnt /mnt/datastore/backups2. If it's not mounted, then check your system logs for errors.

If I enter findmnt /mnt/datastore/backups2 it just hops to the promt again ... so no failure I guess...

this is after the update the fisrt indication dat some access is nog the way it was...
Jun 30 02:04:04 debianPBS proxmox-backup-[618]: debianPBS proxmox-backup-proxy[618]: GET /api2/json/admin/datastore: 401 Unauthorized: [client [::ffff:192.168.30.55]:64234] authentication failed - invalid ticket - expired Jun 30 02:04:06 debianPBS proxmox-backup-[618]: debianPBS proxmox-backup-proxy[618]: GET /api2/json/admin/datastore/backups2/status: 400 Bad Request: [client [::ffff:192.168.30.80]:50214] unable to open chunk store 'backups2' at "/mnt/datastore/backups2/.chunks" - No such file or directory (os error 2)

If I enter findmnt /mnt/datastore/backups2 it just hops to the promt again ... so no failure I guess...
That means there is nothing mounted there.
this is after the update the fisrt indication dat some access is nog the way it was...
Jun 30 02:04:04 debianPBS proxmox-backup-[618]: debianPBS proxmox-backup-proxy[618]: GET /api2/json/admin/datastore: 401 Unauthorized: [client [::ffff:192.168.30.55]:64234] authentication failed - invalid ticket - expired Jun 30 02:04:06 debianPBS proxmox-backup-[618]: debianPBS proxmox-backup-proxy[618]: GET /api2/json/admin/datastore/backups2/status: 400 Bad Request: [client [::ffff:192.168.30.80]:50214] unable to open chunk store 'backups2' at "/mnt/datastore/backups2/.chunks" - No such file or directory (os error 2)
Please check the log during boot. Is it a ZFS datastore or directory? Check zfs get mounted or systemctl status mnt-datastore-backups2.mount depending on what it is.

Instructions were clear and understandable, the upgrade itself went through without any problems. Kudos to the team!

A few questions:

1. Can I sync a PBS 3.0 server with PBS 2.4?
2. Can a remote PBS 3.0 server used as backup storage for a PVE 7.4 server?

Can I sync a PBS 3.0 server with PBS 2.4?
Yes, as long as you do not use the new transfer-last option, which is only understood since Proxmox Backup Server 3.0

2. Can a remote PBS 3.0 server used as backup storage for a PVE 7.4 server?

Yes, as written in the FAQ of this post, we test compatibility actively with the current supported releases, which Proxmox VE 7 still is for ~ a year:

Q: Is Proxmox Backup Server still compatible with older clients or Proxmox VE releases?
A: We are actively testing compatibility between all currently supported major versions, including the previous version. Full compatibility with even older (major) client versions is supported only on a best effort basis.

Reactions: pizza
Yes, as long as you do not use the new transfer-last option, which is only understood since Proxmox Backup Server 3.0
I'm pretty sure there had been a transfer-last option before upgrading to v3.0 — I've been using it for a few weeks, but haven't upgraded until a few minutes ago. What am I missing? (Maybe, because I'm using no-subscription repo?)

I believe there is an error in the document linked. In the section called Upgrade the system you write
Code:
apt update
apt dist-upgrade

where it should say
Code:
apt upgrade
apt dist-upgrade

no, the docs are correct. we don't want a partial upgrade (which `apt upgrade` might do), we want to pull in all the updated dependencies etc. via `apt dist-upgrade`.

@thesix - "apt update" is the first step, it refreshes the metadata "which new packets are available?"
Then with "apt dist-upgrade", the new updates are actually installed.

And please don't use "apt upgrade" as that can cause havoc, using "apt dist-upgrade" is absolutely preferred.

https://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lunar/en/man8/apt-get.8.html
Code:
  dist-upgrade
           dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of upgrade, also intelligently
           handles changing dependencies with new versions of packages

hello there, we've just successfully upgraded 2.4->3.0 :D
Great work guys and thanks for the upgrade guide at https://pbs.proxmox.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrade_from_2_to_3

We've found some inconsistencies in the upgrade guide:

Code:
Check all files in the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-enterprise.list and /etc/apt/sources.list and see Package_Repositories [https://pbs.proxmox.com/wiki/index.php?title=Package_Repositories&action=edit&redlink=1] for the correct Proxmox VE 8 / Debian Bookworm repositories.

a) Strange wording, "check all files in the"... 2 explicit files. I guess someone started writing about all files in the (sub)folder and then changed things around
b) The file should be /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pbs-enterprise.list instead of pve
c) The above mentioned link doesn't work, but a few lines below there is the correct link:
Code:
For the no-subscription repository, see Package Repositories [https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/installation.html#debian-package-repositories].

d) Regarding the recommended choices during upgrade:
Code:
 apt dist-upgrade
During the above step, you will be asked to approve changes to configuration files, where the default config has been updated by their respective package.
... Common configuration files with changes, and the recommended choices are:

One question that certainly everyone upgrading gets is "do you want to restart some services" very early on. Default is no, and i guess that is a nobrainer, we're reloading all the changes with the finishing reboot. But still this might deserve a place in this list.

(despite chosing no, there was a second question later if we want to restart "postfix ssh cron" - we did that as it shouldn't interfere with any PBS-things running in the background)

Last edited:
Reactions: Dunuin
Thanks for your feedback, and yes some few changes were missing when copying over applicable parts from the Proxmox VE one.
Fixed those and also the other points you mentioned.

despite chosing no, there was a second question later if we want to restart "postfix ssh cron" - we did that as it shouldn't interfere with any PBS-things running in the background
Yes, as the text mentions this is not directly asking if all or none of the (normally small set of) affected services should be restarted, but rather if you want to restart them all and skip the questions (= Yes), or if you want to be asked for each service (or rather core library that some core service depend on) individually (= No).

Last edited:
Hi all,

One more success story to add to the long list; 3x PVE on various hardware and a PBS.

Thanks a lot for the great suite and the easy upgrade path!

Reactions: t.lamprecht
After installing it, I get the 'Failed to connect to server' error. What is the reason? How can I solve it?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!