Proxmox Backup Retention "Keep last X backups"

it might seem logical, but there is no connection between the job and the backup after the job is finished ;) a job doesn't own backups, nor is it constant/immutable. all the pruning and limiting logic works on the storage/backup "group" level, and covers all backup of that guest, whether they are created by job A, B or C or manually.

In that case I hope Google will index this thread well enough, but even then people will find it only AFTER they discover the problem.

It's a bit like, if I design a car with the steering opposite to what's intuitive, I would argue even documenting it well enough is not ... enough.

@esi_y web search does work..

I had exactly same problem for a few days. We added another backup job, with many more backups. PVE was constantly sending updates to the PBS server but the next morning we had nothing left.

Three different backup jobs, three retention policies but one PBS storage. Only after reading this thread, everything made sense.

We will have to look at possibly splitting the PBS into smaller groups or adding a datastore.

@aaron @fabian - I have to say that a paragraph in the docs explaining this would be greatly appreciated. Check similar to the "Guests without backup" but comparing Storage vs enabled Retention policy would be amazing, too.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!