Proxmox-backup-client interactive shell: restore - where are the files?!

rakurtz

Jan 23, 2021
Germany
Hello together

i am still testing around with Proxmox Backup Server and especially the backup-client. (About the installation of the proxmox-backup-client on ubuntu, see here.)

I was abled to backup some user files from a VM that i wanted to restore in another VM. Backup up the files worked very well. In the second VM i could also connect to the backup-server through the interactive shell. On "ls" i could browse through all the files, everything works as expected there.

I selected a folder and then restored it to a local folder. Even when i just selected a folder containing a few text files (less than 5 MB), the process seems to move GBs of data (i monitored it with iftop) and doesn't finish in a reasonable time (i always interrupted the command after a while),

Just to check my commands in the interactive shell:

Code:
select folder/with/somtextfiles/
list-selected
restore-selected /home/john/targetfolder

While the GBs of data (seen on iftop) are moved to that VM i tried to monitor local storage in that VM (using df) - i couldn't find the files or any files from that process.. I tried with different target-paths, no difference.

I could also monitor the task from within the Proxmox-backup-server GUI - no issues there. I shows that many chunks are moved to the VM.

Any ideas?

Do you have any idea why lots of data seems to be transferred but I cannot find it on the local filesystem?
Also why is it transferring a lot more data than the selected backup files weigh?
It must be some misconfiguration of even a bug, I guess

Hi guys!!

I'm also having the same problem.
Only in interactive mode and when I select some folder to restore. Restoring 70 MB takes time, and when the restoration is complete, the files do not exist.
Any idea?
My system is using the latest version of proxmox-client (debian 10 ), and the server proxmox backup server is all up to date.

Hi guys!!

I'm also having the same problem.
Only in interactive mode and when I select some folder to restore. Restoring 70 MB takes time, and when the restoration is complete, the files do not exist.
Any idea?
My system is using the latest version of proxmox-client (debian 10 ), and the server proxmox backup server is all up to date.
do you run the backup client on pbs or the guest?

I see the entire backup.
I can mount and copy with rsync.
I also run and command to restore everything and in a few seconds restore starts.
When selecting individual files, the system is thinking for a long time and then releases, without taking any action.
Using iftop, I see that the network is very active

i did some tests, it works for me if i select a single file, but not a directory

which debian and package version is installed on your machine?
for me the restoration does not work. I have the latest version of each package
the two guest machines.

Attached is a script I created to automate backups and restores. Can be cron.
But the interactive mode is missing

-------------------------------------------------------
root@host1:~#lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Debian
Description: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
Release: 10
Codename: buster
root@host1:~# apt-cache show proxmox-backup-client|grep Version
Version: 1.1.13-2
Version: 1.1.10-1
Version: 1.1.7-1
Version: 1.1.3-1
Version: 1.1.2-1
Version: 1.1.1-1
Version: 1.0.14-1
-------------------------------------------------------
root@host2:/# lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Debian
Description: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
Release: 11
Codename: bullseye
root@dhost2:/# apt-cache show proxmox-backup-client|grep Version
Version: 2.0.9-2
Version: 2.0.8-1
Version: 2.0.5-2
Version: 2.0.4-1

Attachments

• pbs.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
command select not working
select folder/with/somtextfiles/

Use the command find.
find folder/with/somtextfiles/ --select

list-selected
restore-selected /home/john/targetfolder

Reactions: JohnTanner

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!