Proxmox-backup-client abort on failed file

Einar Stenberg

Mar 7, 2012
Gjøvik, Norway, Norway
Hi,

I have been testing both the PVE integration and the client, the PVE is working great but, I'm encountering a some issues with the client.

Mainly, it seems that when client encounters an error with backing up a single file then the entire backup job is interrupted.
In my case it seems the job is interrupted because it encounters som charachters it considers invalid. ie. "middle dot" this >> ·
A popular characheter among mac users it would seem.

What I'm trying to accomplish is to have a unified backups store in PBS for both my vm's and also some file shares, so what I'm doing is mounting a smb share to a linux host and then running the client on the files in the mountpoint, and well these characters are invalid in linux it seems but valid in the smb share.

My question is this, is there a way command switch or similar to set the client to simply log an error with that file instead of interrupting the entire job when an error is encountered?

When doing a backup and an error is encountered I find it is better to have a incomplete backup instead of no backup at all, if that makes sense?

could you file issues for both
- the failing file name (complete log + information about filename, used file system, installed package versions)
- a 'non-strict' mode for backups that just logs/warns/summarizes when accessing/reading/.. files fails

over at https://bugzilla.proxmox.com , product/component pbs?

thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!