VM Configuration
  1. Media VM
    1. located on rpool
    2. attach storage_main zpool
    3. attach storage_backup zpool
  2. Miscellaneous VMs
    1. located on rpool
Issue:
Not sure how to attach the zpools to the Media VM. Is this the best ZFS practice? How do I attach both zpools to the VM?

Last edited:
What do you mean with "How do I attach both zpools to the VM"? You add the pool under Storrage tab. Then you can add VMs at the zfs pools. On VM is an Dataset.

If you want ZFS inside your VM, you'll have to passthrough all the disks and recreate the ZFS inside your VM. This involves exporting it on the host.

If you want ZFS inside your VM, you'll have to passthrough all the disks and recreate the ZFS inside your VM. This involves exporting it on the host.
But i think this makes no sense. The VM is on ZFS. The only one thing is on LXC. With an mountpoint to the container.

Maybe I misunderstood, but you cannot attach zpools directly to VMs and manage them from inside. Management can only be done if the zpool is already inside, e.g. by passthrough of the disks.

If you only want to "see" the data inside your zfs filesystems, you can bind-mount them to LXC.

Reactions: proxmon
Thanks, I ended up using bind-mount which worked very well.

How it looks for anybody having the same issue:
Code:
root@proxmox:/etc/pve/lxc# vi 208.conf
lxc.mount.entry: /storage_main storage none bind,create=dir,optional 0 0
lxc.mount.entry: /storage_backup backup none bind,create=dir,optional 0 0
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/LXC_Bind_Mounts

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!