Proxmox and DHCP server

riky67

Mar 23, 2012
Hi
I have two questions:
1) I have encountered a serious problem. I installed the server with dynamic ip Proxmox
My DHCP server has issued an ip to my Proxmox server but then issued it to another device. Why?
2) I can not change the address to connect to the server Proxmox. Remains fixed as detected during installation. dhcpclient command me to assign a new ip but not reachable
grazie

you need to use a fixed IP for your Proxmox VE host, dynamic IP´s are not supported.

Does ProxMox use an internal DHCP server to assign dynamic IP's and DNS settings to its virtual machines. It seems as though every time I assign a bridged or NAT interface to my machines (Windows or Linux), the interfaces are always assigned 192.168.1.12 and 10.0.2.15, respectively. How can I get ProxMox to assign these interfaces dynamic addresses out of the box without having to set up a DHCP/DNS virtual machine and have all of my other virtual machines use that.

Thank you in advance,
Jim

What's the better way to set up DNS/DHCP through a virtual machine where all of the machines connect to this machine, or set up DNS/DHCP on Proxmox binding to eth0?

I dont understand this answer, where is the Guest machines get its IP from ? the DHCP server listed in the ipconfig is 10.0.2.2 which is Proxmox IP if you SSH from with in the virtual machine, how is this IP assigned to the VM ? I need to modify the range and some options where do I do that ?

What's the better way to set up DNS/DHCP through a virtual machine where all of the machines connect to this machine, or set up DNS/DHCP on Proxmox binding to eth0?

I'm using an openVZ container (debian) as dedicated DNS/DHCP server. The Proxmox host uses only fixed IPs for all essential configurations and also for VMs. Only network clients rely on the DHCP/DNS server.
This way your proxmox host and it's VMs will start up and run even when the DNS/DHCP service/server is not available and you could access them from a client with fixed IP configuration for maintenance. If your VMs and/or the Proxmox host would rely on DHCP and it fails, you will have to get local access to the server.

If Services on a VM need a working DNS/DHCP, set up this VM to start up with a delay (Options -> "startup/shutdown order" "order=any,up=30" for 30sec delay on boot)

Hi I would like to forward Port 53 of my virtual machine for dns . i am using shorewall firewall along with Proxmox Virtual Environment 4.3-1/e7cdc165 . I am able to forward all other port other than 53 to internet from my VM . and it is also possible to map the local port of VM 53 to WAN Port 54 or to any other port . Plz suggest me a way to open 53 on VM , Thanks .

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!