Proxmox and Dell PowerEdge OS

juju01

May 16, 2020
I recently got a Dell PowerEdge 740xd which came with an enterprise lifecycle controller license and a boss card. I installed proxmox on a dell boss card. However, I am finding that I am not getting the full functionality of the lifecycle controller without installing an approved OS for the PowerEdge server. For example, my Idrac Service Module (ISM) is not working, though its installed. I am also confused by how to install system updates and updates to the lifecycle controller in general when the OS is proxmox.

I am hoping that those of you using the PowerEdge servers can help me understand:
  1. How you are doing system updates assuming proxmox is the default OS installed.
  2. I have plenty of disks / drive bays available - Is it better to do a fresh install on 2 front bay drives and an OS like Windows server 2016 on the boss card to make things easier for updates and such?
  3. Do you have a working ISM?

Thx.

Personnaly, I getting bios, idrac firmware,... manually on dell support . (just download firmware for linux or redhat), and launch then proxmox proxmox.

Another way, is to download the dell SUU dvd, it contain all firmware for all devices for any dell server. Just boot on it, it'll upgrade your server.

It has been a while since I had Dell servers in my hands, but I remember that we usually booted into the life cycle controller and did firmware updates from there. Configure the network and let it download from ftp.dell.com. Come back an hour later and the firmware update would be done.

It has been a while since I had Dell servers in my hands, but I remember that we usually booted into the life cycle controller and did firmware updates from there. Configure the network and let it download from ftp.dell.com. Come back an hour later and the firmware update would be done.

@aaron How about something like dell idrac service module ( ISM), which depends on the installed OS. Mine is not working with proxmox installed as the OS on the server.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!