Proxmox 8 crashes when copying data inside windows VM

xoffio

Jun 10, 2024
Hi,
I have a group of Precision 3680 machines with Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-14900K processors.

I am creating only one Windows 10 VM on each Proxmox machine, and I am using pass-through for the disk. However, after copying a large amount of data (In the VM) to the disk, Proxmox completely freezes.

I have attached the output of journalctl when Proxmox freezes (see journalctl_crash.txt).

This issue has only occurred on 2 out of the 6 machines so far.

I noticed that in the machines without issues, the SSDs all share the same IOMMU group. In the other hand, the machines with issues have SSDs in separate IOMMU groups. Here are the screenshots for reference:

Screenshot 2024-06-10 at 6.02.37 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-06-10 at 6.04.52 PM.png

I have tried using LVM, Directory, and ZFS instead of passing through the disk, but Proxmox hangs as well.
I read forums about people with similar problems. They suggested it might be ZFS, but I was not using ZFS. Even though I was not using ZFS, I reduced the RAM and cores of the VM, but that didn't solve the problem.

I have also tried the following:
- adding `clearcpuid=600` to `GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT`
- adding `mitigations=off` to `GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT`
- installing intel-microcode
Unfortunately, none of these solutions have worked.

I appreciate any help.

Attachments

• journalctl_crash.txt
    15.8 KB · Views: 0

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!