Proxmox 7.x not network

Ldmit

Dec 14, 2019
After a clean installation of proxmox 7, the network does not work. Although during installation, the network settings for the dhcp receive. Delivered proxmox 6.4 the network works. I tried to update from 6to7 and after the update I rebooted and the network disappeared = (. How to raise the network on proxmox 7?

PS Server Dell PowerEdge ™ R640

Same issue here with no network after clean installation of version 7 - tried 6.4 and it worked fine.

I'm brand new to Proxmox. Is it like Windows where I should wait a few years after a new release to get a stable version?

I think there is something a miss in the upgrade/installation w.r.t. ifupdown2 not being installed, but being "needed" somehow :shrug:

Same issue here with no network after clean installation of version 7 - tried 6.4 and it worked fine.

I'm brand new to Proxmox. Is it like Windows where I should wait a few years after a new release to get a stable version?
personnaly, I always wait a few months for the .1 release

Reactions: bdn
After a clean installation of proxmox 7, the network does not work. Although during installation, the network settings for the dhcp receive. Delivered proxmox 6.4 the network works. I tried to update from 6to7 and after the update I rebooted and the network disappeared = (. How to raise the network on proxmox 7?
ame issue here with no network after clean installation of version 7 - tried 6.4 and it worked fine.
please share (from the not-working pve 7.0 installation and from the working 6.4 one):
* `cat /etc/network/interfaces`
* `ip -detail link`
* `ip -detail addr`
* `dmesg`
* `journalctl -b`

PS Server Dell PowerEdge ™ R640
add /etc/network/interface

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.X.Y/24
hwaddress xx:xx:xx:xx:xx <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
# ... remaining options

Reactions: Kyle and bdn
please share (from the not-working pve 7.0 installation and from the working 6.4 one):
* `cat /etc/network/interfaces`
* `ip -detail link`
* `ip -detail addr`
* `dmesg`
* `journalctl -b`
Thanks for replying, but I don't know of an easy way of getting these 'walls of texts' to you. The return from the first 3 commands look to be the same for both versions.

Perhaps you can clue me in on what to look for. I'm testing in VirtualBox - should have access to a Lenovo RS635 rack server in 2 weeks.

add /etc/network/interface

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.X.Y/24
hwaddress xx:xx:xx:xx:xx <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
# ... remaining options
This fixed the networking issue, thank you!

The question is why... have not worked with any OS that I needed to manually enter MAC address

The question is why... have not worked with any OS that I needed to manually enter MAC address
The issue is that:
1. Your server is in a restricted network environment, for example in a hosting providers datacenter, and thus has highly probably MAC address restrictions to avoid spoofing the MAC address to look like other servers in that DC (which would cause issues all over the place).
2. previously the kernel set it to one of the Linux bridge actual network ports, that's normally also the one the hosting provider whitelists by default
3. the systemd version that got pulled in with Proxmox VE 7.0 now changed their MACAddressPolicy to also include virtual devices like Linux bridges or bonds, and generates a unique but persistent MAC address, based on interface-name (e.g., vmbr0) and the machine-id (/etc/machine-id).

So, there's no need from Proxmox VE point of view to change the MAC address, but your hosting provider or network admin requires it - an alternative would thus be to tell them the (additional) MAC address of the bridge they should add to their "allow MAC address" list.
As having a different MAC on the bridge can actually be a good thing for deciding where traffic comes from, but the world seems not to be ready for that yet :)

As it seems that there are quite some setups in restricted environments that do not know of that restriction, and also some, that know of it but using a mediocre hosting environment that does not provide iKVM/IPMI by default, we will set the bridge MAC address explicitly to the port in the Proxmox VE installer to avoid that.

Reactions: Kyle and bdn
After I upgraded my cluster from 6 to 7 I did not have any network connectivity. what ended up fixing the issues was logging into each node and running the following command

systemctl enable networking; reboot

After that, the node rebooted and came back online and everything was working again. Not sure why the networking stack got disabled during the update. This is on a 5 node cluster with multiple NICs with and without bonds that was using ifupdown2 before the upgrade.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!