[SOLVED] Proxmox 7, Linux 5.11 no display

Inglebard

May 20, 2016
Hi,

I just update from proxmox 6 to 7 on a test server.

I notice after the reboot, I don't have display after proxmox full boot.
I see the bios, grub, lvm2 detection and then nothing. The display displays "resolution out of range". (I test 3 different screens)

If I go back to 5.4 everything seems fine.

If I compare 5.4 to 5.11 I notice the following, 5.11 :
- No vga display
- Fan seems to be at high RPM (but still responsive)
- 5.11 take longer to boot and scan lvm

I don't see anything special if I compare log with 5.4.

Edit :
Code:
lshw -c video
  *-display                 
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: MGA G200e [Pilot] ServerEngines (SEP1)
       vendor: Matrox Electronics Systems Ltd.
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
       version: 05
       width: 32 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
       configuration: driver=mgag200 latency=0
       resources: irq:16 memory:ee000000-eeffffff memory:ef800000-ef803fff memory:ef000000-ef7fffff memory:c0000-dffff

Attachments

• log5.11.txt
    149.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Hi,

I have the same issue after updating one node from proxmox 6.4 to 7 but "nomodeset" didn't really fix the issue : I have a black screen with nomodeset vs. the display reported "resolution out of range)

Similar graphic hardware, probably older.

Code:
lshw -c video
  *-display UNCLAIMED       
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: MGA G200e [Pilot] ServerEngines (SEP1)
       vendor: Matrox Electronics Systems Ltd.
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
       version: 02
       width: 32 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list
       configuration: latency=0
       resources: memory:f8000000-f8ffffff memory:fbcfc000-fbcfffff memory:fb000000-fb7fffff memory:c0000-dffff

If you have any idea to fix this issue, thanks in advance

Kind regards,

PS: I like to have diplay because the kvm module is old java !

Hi,

FYI, I fixed this issue by setting the vga mode (vga=794 works for 1280x1024 (65k) but other mode should work too) on the kernel line at boot.

Code:
nano /etc/default/grub
#Add vga=794 to this line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet vga=794"
update-grub
reboot

Kind regards,

is there any issue to run using kernel 5.11.22-7-pve with the latest updates? I cant seem to get 5.11.39-3-pve working - tried all the options I could think of; nomodeset, vga=794, GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768, and various other recommended solutions - no luck on my Lenovo SR250

I am having a similar issue and can't seem to quite get the boot parameters correct.

I am using an older SuperMicro board: Board Product Name: X9DRW-3LN4F+/X9DRW-3TF+
I am on the following firmware:
Code:
Firmware Revision : 03.53
Firmware Build Time : 2017-07-21
and the BIOS is from 2014 I think.

VGA seems fine:
Code:
lspci -v

0c:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Electronics Systems Ltd. MGA G200eW WPCM450 (rev 0a) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    DeviceName:  Onboard Matrox VGA
    Subsystem: Super Micro Computer Inc MGA G200eW WPCM450
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 22, NUMA node 0, IOMMU group 21
    Memory at dc000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=16M]
    Memory at df000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    Memory at de800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8M]
    Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [virtual] [disabled] [size=128K]
    Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1
    Kernel driver in use: mgag200
    Kernel modules: matroxfb_base, mgag200
no issue within dmesg.

I have tried nearly every permutation of the boot options offered here. The only one that "works" is nomodeset, but after I get to the login prompt, my keyboard doesn't work as it should. The cursor can navigate anywhere on the screen and enter doesn't do anything.

Any ideas of what needs to be set along with nomodeset so that my keyboard functions correctly?

Hi guys. Just wanna share my experience.
Had the same problem on a Lenovo Thinkstation during proxmox installation. Tried almost everything I could find and just couldn't get to the second setup screen.
I got around it by swapping the GPU. Couldn't get it to run on nvs315, but with a gt710 it ran perfectly.
Installed the system and everything w/o a hitch.

Modified earlier soultion worked on RX2520 M5 and kernel PVE 5.15.30-3

Code:
nano /etc/default/grub
#Add nomodeset to this line: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet nomodeset"
update-grub
reboot

This is good information, but how do I modify grub upon initial installation of either ProxMox VE or Backup Server as the screen goes blank as described above and I can't acutally perform the install!

What I'm saying is I don't know how to interrupt the initial install to make any boot modifications and then continue to boot, on either ProxMox VE or Backup Server during initial installation.

you can simply press "e" at the installer menu , i.e the very first installer screen when you can choose between different boot options, that will open an editor for grub boot options

OK, so I figured out the ProxMox Backup Server 2.2-1 solution to the screen going blank on Installation.

Boot the ProxMox Backup 2.2-1 Server install ISO, select Advanced and Boot in debug mode. It will boot and throw you into the CLI.

Enter " vga=794 " or what ever vga mode you wish and then press Ctrl + D and that will continue the install and the GUI Wizard now shows so I can finish the installation. Whew..

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!