[SOLVED] Proxmox 7.4 and Proxmox 8 boots with this error.

khraosgenetor

Oct 13, 2024
I tried using Proxmox 7.4, 8 and 8.1 with both live boot (on real hardware) and vm. I keep getting this error (look at images attached ). It usually give me a logged in shell on tty1. Gui wont open, and same error occurs or it wont respond at all when I type startx.1728797644915.png1728797628879.png1728797759773.png

Last edited:
There is no Xorg on a PVE installation, there is no GUI!

If you establish "tricks" you need to describe them detailed and in its entirety.

That said..., does the file exist? Is the responsible package installed? What gives apt policy libxshmfence1. Try to install it...

----
Edit: on a non-PVE Bookworm I have this:
Code:
~# ls -al /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxshmfence.s*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   21 18. Mär 2018  /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxshmfence.so.1 -> libxshmfence.so.1.0.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6160 18. Mär 2018  /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxshmfence.so.1.0.0

Last edited:
There is no Xorg on a PVE installation, there is no GUI!

If you establish "tricks" you need to describe them detailed and in its entirety.

That said..., does the file exist? Is the responsible package installed? What gives apt policy libxshmfence1. Try to install it...

----
Edit: on a non-PVE Bookworm I have this:
Code:
~# ls -al /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxshmfence.s*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   21 18. Mär 2018  /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxshmfence.so.1 -> libxshmfence.so.1.0.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6160 18. Mär 2018  /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxshmfence.so.1.0.0
Alright, so it seems that for whatever reason, the download did not complete properly on Brave. Either that or my iso was corrupted, for today the iso download on a different browser works. Sorry for the inconvenience.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!