Proxmox 7.1 boot interrupted by initramfs. Kernel panic when attempting to exit

ploxxer

Dec 31, 2021
Hello,

I am attempting to boot a new installation of Proxmox off of an old Dell R720xd. The Proxmox installation has been done on a single SSD, configured to use ZFS RAID 0.

Also contained within the server are a total of 12 drives - 6x10TBs and 6x3TBs. Each of the 10TBs and each of the 3TBs are in their own pools. They were previously running on a bare metal Ubuntu installation and were properly exported with `zpool export` before I went about installing Proxmox

Here is where my issue lies:

When booting up, I am taken to the following screen, where I have been letting it boot to the first option, which is shown as being highlighted:

1643647515029.png

Next, I am presented with this screen:

1643647550852.png

Here I am able to import my zpools with `zpool import pool_name` successfully. I have also tried other variations of the import command, such as `zpool import -R /rpool -N pool_name`. Regardless of the method I import the pools, it seems to always successfully import them.

It may be worth noting that I *did* have to run `zpool upgrade pool_name` on both of my pools previously. For whatever reason, I was able to `Ctrl + D` twice afterward and boot successfully.

Anyway, back to the console. As you can see, I'm able to import my pools successfully:

1643647747032.png

'zpool status' also does not appear to report errors of any kind. I am even able to view my zfs pools mounted at /vm_pool and /media_pool when running an 'ls -l' command

1643647785423.png

Now, after referring to threads such as https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/stuck-at-initramfs-with-kernel-5-3-13-1-pve.63003/ , I would think I could now go ahead and press `Ctrl + D` to reboot. If I try this, I am presented with the following screen:

1643647855459.png

Pressing `Ctrl + D` again results in a kernel panic.

Is anyone able to provide any info on why I might be experiencing this issue? I find it odd that I was able to successfully boot into PVE last night after upgrading the pools but am no longer able to. I have tried again to upgrade the pools but the console reports that there is no upgrade needed.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!