[SOLVED] Proxmox 7.0 upgrade while VMs are running

showiproute

Mar 11, 2020
Austria
Hello everyone,

I have a (very) remote place where a Proxmox server is doing it's job pretty well and running a couple of VMs including a firewall/VPN.

Can Proxmox be upgraded to the newest version while at least this specific VM keeps running?
Otherwise I would not be able to Proxmox.

You should reboot after every kernel upgrade. If you need super high availability you maybe should consider building a cluster instead of a single node so everything is continuing running even if a server is shotdown.

Yeah, I usually do this and this works without any issues.
My question was regarding the upgrade process 6.4 -> 7.0.

Would there be any process in the background which prevents my VM from running which upgrading?

My proxmox server is running a pfsense for connecting to the internet.
I did the update yesterday. I shut down all VM's except the pfsense and then ran the update. At no time was there any indication that the running VM had any kind of problem.

Reactions: showiproute

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!