proxmox 7.0-14+1 VE and vm EFI veryslow

marcbe

Jan 5, 2020
I have a windows 10 pro on EFI vm very slow, hours not minutes to boot, on HDD ( I cannot move on ssd), the HD is new, 30gg, toshiba n300 4TB, fast when I want to copy files or boot other vm. On this hdd there is NOT other vm running.

Does anyone can indicate why ?

What is the best HDD configuration of VM to improve speed of vm ?

I mean:

1636716050666.png

1636716093529.png

Thanks Marcello

I'd start by running some read/write tests directly from your host (PM I mean). If those seem to work fine next - do some benchmark from a VM. What is your VM harddisk controller setup? How 'bout changing your virtual controller to Virtio SCSI? Also what's the storage type - ZFS/ext4-lvm/thin? How did you mount your disk to PM?

In tabs linked above there's pretty nothing much to really affect your drive speed (except disk cache perhapse - but that wouldn't cause that much performance loss/increase anyway). Hours too boot seem to be a hardware issue...

Last edited:
Allready virtio SCSI, I am using lvm-thin in Proxmox
you use SATA, not VirtIO SCSI.

(you configured a VirtIO SCSI controller but you attached your virtual harddisk with SATA).

1636727940547.png

the vm with problem is a result of recover by iso is the only efi vm in proxmoxo 7 and the only vm so slow

dev/sde is the disk where is stored the vm "guilty"

Last edited:
Thanks, the performance are now fine.

But the boot show me a black screen persistent. Do you have any suggestion ?

Thanks, the performance are now fine.

But the boot show me a black screen persistent. Do you have any suggestion ?
You've probably changed disk/controller type - your VM OS cannot recognize (yet). Before changing disk config you should create a tiny new disk using virtio scsi type. Then install virtio scsi drivers under VM to it. Finally shutdown VM, change your main disk type and boot again (also remove temporary drive since it's no longer needed).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!