proxmox 6.x my /etc/pve is empty.

kumarullal

Renowned Member
Jun 17, 2009
LA, USA
I have a stand alone proxmox node running 6.0 or 6.1, I am not sure.
When I checked my nas for the vzdump backups, I realized, the vm was not backed up for 3 days. Then I tried to connect to web gui. Could not connect.
I couls ssh in to it. Saw /etc/pve empty. However, my vm is hosted on a different ssd drive other than where I installed proxmox. Therefore the vm is running fine.
However, I cannot run vzdump even manually.
When I run
systemctl status pve-cluster, I get " pve-cluster.service: Start request repeated too quickly." unable to start proxmox cluster file system.
One of the lines of output of " journalctl -b -u pve-cluster" is "[main] crit: unable to create lock '/var/lib/pve-cluster/.pmxcfs.lockfile': Read-only file system"
/etc/hosts is also correctly formatted.
pveproxy service cannot be started.
pvedaemon.service is Active
CGroup: /system.slice/pvedaemon.service
├─ 1226 pvedaemon
├─ 6874 pvedaemon worker
├─10463 pvedaemon worker
└─28498 pvedaemon worker

I dont know what to do.
Please advise.

If it's a standalone system, pmxcfs -l shall put the config files back in /etc/pve but that would be default values

I dont know what are the repercussions of this command. When you say Default values, would it mean the vm conf file will also disappear of my current vm? What would happen to my Storage and the storage.cfg file? At any cost I want anything happen to my VM. It is the most important VM, that is why I have a separate Standalone proxmox server created for it.

By the way, as a precaution I have copied I have copied /var/lib/pve-cluster/config.db on a network shared folder, if that would help.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!