Proxmox 6 to 7 upgrade - Legacy-Boot to Proxmox Boot

keropiko

Sep 16, 2019
Hello all,

i have recently upgraded my proxmox installation to version 7. Everything working correctly and super fast.

I would like to know to upgrade from legacy boot to the new proxmox boot. The first proxmox installation was from version 5.2 or 5.3 if i remember, so there is not VFAT with size 512 M.

this is the ssd drive the proxmox installation is on:

lsblk -o +FSTYPE

sda 8:0 0 223.6G 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 1007K 0 part
├─sda2 8:2 0 223.6G 0 part zfs_member
└─sda9 8:9 0 8M 0 part

I would like to know if and how i can upgrade to the new Proxmox Boot since using the instructions here : https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/ZFS:_Switch_Legacy-Boot_to_Proxmox_Boot_Tool, i am afraid to do any mistake and block everything.

Thank you in advance.

you don't have an EFI System Partition, so you in order to switch you need to add one. this could be done by
- adding another disk (or two) just for booting, and formatting/initializing it according to the instructions
- if your pool is redundant, recreate the vdevs one-by-one and resilvering (potentially dangerous, requires familiarity with zpool commands to manipulate a pool)

of course making backups and reinstalling the system from scratch is also an option to get the new boot mechanism in place.

Hello and thank you for the reply. Do you think it would be a good idea to install a usb drive to use only for booting with the new system? in that case how to i remove the old boot partition from the ssd?

thank you

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!