KSM proxmox 2.6.35

works out of the box. but how do you test? you need run some KVM guest, especially windows. and use more than 50 % ram from your host.

e.g. if your Proxmox VE host got 8 GB RAM, just start three Windows guests with 2 GB ram assigned.

Ok i will try with host 24Go DDR3 and 5-6 vm windows ..
I will send you my feedback tomorrow

I read there is a way to stop and start the KSM support with sysctl but i don't remember how.

Regards

I just did some tests here, looks like something is not working, I take a deeper look.

Hum not working on my proxmox

root@vd1:~# uname -r
2.6.35-1-pve

root@vd1:~# free -m
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 24105 12210 11894 0 35 238
-/+ buffers/cache: 11937 12168
Swap: 39997 0 39997

watch cat /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/pages_shared
Every 2,0s: cat /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/pages_shared Wed Apr 6 01:22:17 2011

Hello together, i'm also interested in solving this issue! Hope you'll find the failure in the near future :)

We just uploaded a fix (pve-qemu-kvm: 0.14.0-3).

After upgrading you need to stop your KVM guests and start again, pls test and give feedback.

Hi tom

i've upgraded to the lates version you've uploaded and after a few minutes it seems that KSM is working again!

<--
Every 2.0s: cat /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/pages_sharing Thu Apr 7 09:00:18 2011

<--

It runs quite stable at the moment but it's a bit to early for a "real stability statement" :)

*** Ok forget all about my post. I'm running kernel 2.6.32 and as i understand, there is KSm not enabled... ***

While following your thread I checked my own installation and found ksm not running at all.
There is no /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/ dir and therefore /etc/init.d/ksmtuned is not starting (the script checks for that dir).
/etc/default/ksmtuned says start=yes

Is there another screw to turn?

Regards Holgi

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!