Proxmox 6.04 I get /dev/sdb: open failed: No medium found /dev/sdc: open failed: No medium found

webservio

Renowned Member
May 13, 2009
After researching the threads I still cannot find why after a fresh installation of Proxmox 6.0 I get the following error message:

/dev/sdb: open failed: No medium found
/dev/sdc: open failed: No medium found

Reactions: franko5
Hello,

after removing a VM with Nextcloud & remove drive from server, I get same issue.
Is there a solution how to remove that ghost drive? (not just adding to a filter as in other post)

root@pve:/etc# pvs /dev/sdb: open failed: No medium found PV VG Fmt Attr PSize PFree /dev/sda3 pve lvm2 a-- <111.29 13.87g

Using lsblk - sdb is not shown.

Last edited:
The folder sdb is always generated after restart (even if deleted)

Bash:
root@pve:/dev# ls *sd*
sda  sda1  sda2  sda3  sdb

but fdisk cannot open:

Code:
fdisk: cannot open /dev/sdb: No medium found

and also following does not work:

Code:
root@pve:/dev# vgreduce pve /dev/sdb
  /dev/sdb: open failed: No medium found
  Failed to find device for physical volume "/dev/sdb".

Last edited:
s there a solution how to remove that ghost drive? (not just adding to a filter as in other post)
check with the output of `dmesg` what /dev/sdb is supposed to be - that might show us if it's easily possible to get rid of it...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!