Proxmox 6.0 renames network card and can not use it

I was re-reading this thread as I've also been experiencing the rename issue on a Supermicro board with dual onboard NICs (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...hernet-converged-network-adapter-x540-t2.html).

I initially used the net.ifnames=0 in /etc/default/grub to prevent getting "rename" devices upon reboot, breaking my access except via IPMI. This works, and I have eth0 and eth1 as my devices right now. However, I'd prefer to do this correctly with newer naming conventions.

The output of udevadm test-builtin net_id /sys/class/net/eth0 and /sys/class/net/eth1 are as follows:

Code:
Load module index
Network interface NamePolicy= disabled on kernel command line, ignoring.
Parsed configuration file /usr/lib/systemd/network/99-default.link
Created link configuration context.
Using default interface naming scheme 'v240'.
ID_NET_NAMING_SCHEME=v240
ID_NET_NAME_MAC=enx002590fa0f0e
ID_OUI_FROM_DATABASE=Super Micro Computer, Inc.
ID_NET_NAME_ONBOARD=eno1
ID_NET_NAME_PATH=enp3s0f0
Unload module index
Unloaded link configuration context.

Load module index
Network interface NamePolicy= disabled on kernel command line, ignoring.
Parsed configuration file /usr/lib/systemd/network/99-default.link
Created link configuration context.
Using default interface naming scheme 'v240'.
ID_NET_NAMING_SCHEME=v240
ID_NET_NAME_MAC=enx002590fa0f0f
ID_OUI_FROM_DATABASE=Super Micro Computer, Inc.
ID_NET_NAME_ONBOARD=eno1
ID_NET_NAME_PATH=enp3s0f1
Unload module index
Unloaded link configuration context.

As you can see, the ID_NET_NAME_ONBOARD is identical, and my default policy in /lib/systemd/network/99-default.link is:

NamePolicy=keep kernel database onboard slot path
MACAddressPolicy=persistent

I'm wondering if the best/proper path forward is to net.ifnames=0 from Grub and rebuild it, then change my NamePolicy to remove onboard, allowing path to be used. (refs: https://manpages.debian.org/buster/udev/systemd.link.5.en.html, https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkInterfaceNames)

Or, would it be more correct to add Match and Link configurations, either in 10-persistent-net.link or 99-default.link and not change the NamePolicy default order?

Thank you.

As I wrote earlier, my resolution was to change the NamePolicy to path only. I actually added the 99-default.link to /etc/systemd/network in order for it to persist.

Like you note, onboard is not unique and slot seems to be the same as onboard. I don't care to have the whole MAC, so path is the only reasonable option left. It's unique and persistent.

My /etc/systemd/network/99-default.link is simply
Code:
[Link]
NamePolicy=path

I have four interfaces on my machine, all Intel 82571EB. Two of the interfaces came up as ens2f0 and ens2f1 and I was able to configure them via the Proxmox web GUI. The other two interfaces didn't appear in the GUI. They could be seen via `ls /sys/class/net/` and/or `ip link` as "rename3" and "rename4". To fix this I created this file:

/etc/systemd/network/10-eth2.link

With these contents:

[Match]
MACAddress=00:12:34:56:78:9A

[Link]
Name=eth2

and rebooted. It was then visible in the Proxmox GUI.

I should note this is a Proxmox install added to Debian Buster install, so may vary a bit.
you saved my day, thanks!

Reactions: jebbam
I have four interfaces on my machine, all Intel 82571EB. Two of the interfaces came up as ens2f0 and ens2f1 and I was able to configure them via the Proxmox web GUI. The other two interfaces didn't appear in the GUI. They could be seen via `ls /sys/class/net/` and/or `ip link` as "rename3" and "rename4". To fix this I created this file:

/etc/systemd/network/10-eth2.link

With these contents:

[Match]
MACAddress=00:12:34:56:78:9A

[Link]
Name=eth2

and rebooted. It was then visible in the Proxmox GUI.

I should note this is a Proxmox install added to Debian Buster install, so may vary a bit.
Thx this solved my problem

Reactions: jebbam

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!