Proxmox 5.3 ?

devinacosta

Aug 3, 2017
I know there was some meetup earlier in the month over in Europe, was just curious to know what features we can expect to see in Proxmox 5.3. Can you share any of those details?

What sort of Ceph GUI improvements are we expecting to see?

If a converged setup with Ceph + HA going to be easier?

Reactions: AlexLup
Last time I tried this, I found it a struggle to even just get the Ceph cluster up from a networking perspective.

I'm going to give it another shot this Christmas =).

I'm wondering though - do we have a timeline on Proxmox 5.3?

Will it be this year, or next?

I believe Debian 10 (Buster) is meant to come out mid-2019 - which means Ceph Mimic will work with Proxmox then. However, not sure if Ceph 5.3 is meant to come out before this?

time I tried this, I found it a struggle to even just get the Ceph cluster up from a networking perspective.

relative simple setups shouldn't be to bad to setup with our integration, maybe you tried it a bit longer ago, could have been a little bit rougher then.

Will it be this year, or next

Probably this, but as always, I cannot make exact dates, or at least cannot guarantee them :)

Last time I tried this, I found it a struggle to even just get the Ceph cluster up from a networking perspective.
Even if there were additional GUI controls exposed, it would not obviate the need to architect, plan, and carefully deploy a network for Ceph. A stable, performant deployment is not trivial and can be accomplished in a number of ways; I humbly suggest that you may want to study up on what your attempting to build for best results, regardless of gui widgets.

Reactions: HE_Cole
Even if there were additional GUI controls exposed, it would not obviate the need to architect, plan, and carefully deploy a network for Ceph. A stable, performant deployment is not trivial and can be accomplished in a number of ways; I humbly suggest that you may want to study up on what your attempting to build for best results, regardless of gui widgets.

Ah yeah, sure, I agree with you. I more referred to a simple "get it up and test it out to get a feeling" type of setup. :) But we got a lot of feedback from people using it, praising it simplicity regarding scaling and resolving failures, especially in comparison to other storage technologies with a somewhat similar feature set. And if you're building for a bigger or a bit special workload every tech you use needs to be evaluated, planned, etc. so yes ceph isn't the exception here ;-)

Oh - ProxMox 5.3 might be this year?

That is super exciting, that would definitely be an early Christmas present!

And yes, I understand that any tech should have planning and design considered from hardware purchase through to implementation and maintenance - however, there's nothing wrong with making it approachable for those spinning up a homelab to test with, or trying to get a feel for it to compare technologies =).

Can we surely expect a kernel bump with 5.3? Being stuck with 4.15 in 5.2, we can't get Ryzen temperature readouts.

Also, I'm eager to see any improvements in vm migration in HA (upon node failures) -- those are really quick in 4.4 clusters, but take up to 3 minutes in 5.2 ones.

Can we surely expect a kernel bump with 5.3? Being stuck with 4.15 in 5.2, we can't get Ryzen temperature readouts.

No, we'll keep the 4.15 series now for PVE 5.3 for sure, it's now quite proven and will get (new) hardware support and bug fixes for quite a bit.
Which Ryzen do you use, and how determined you that you're not able to read it's temperature out? Did you tried lm-sensors? Currently not on an Ryzen machine (will try later) but checking the kernel support should be there, at least some fixes where integrated for Ryzen 2700X which seemed to be have an calculation issue, so kernel support should probably not be your problem...

Also, I'm eager to see any improvements in vm migration in HA (upon node failures) -- those are really quick in 4.4 clusters, but take up to 3 minutes in 5.2 ones.
But we change nothing regarding this from 4.4. to 5.x, this part stayed pretty much the same. And the expected worst case duration was always 2 minutes, as this is our cluster lock expiration time.

Reactions: HE_Cole
No, we'll keep the 4.15 series now for PVE 5.3 for sure, it's now quite proven and will get (new) hardware support and bug fixes for quite a bit.
Which Ryzen do you use, and how determined you that you're not able to read it's temperature out? Did you tried lm-sensors? Currently not on an Ryzen machine (will try later) but checking the kernel support should be there, at least some fixes where integrated for Ryzen 2700X which seemed to be have an calculation issue, so kernel support should probably not be your problem...

AFAIK, 4.15 reached its EOL some time ago already, right? I can't see any updates on kernel.org regarding that kernel version. I'm using a Ryzen 5 2600 -- and yes I tried lm-sensors. Temp readouts come as from kernel 4.16. My Prox 5.2.12 up-to-date and no, temperatures are not available.

AFAIK, 4.15 reached its EOL some time ago already, right? I can't see any updates on kernel.org regarding that kernel version.

Yes, kernel.org's 4.15 is EOL, but which distro uses kernel.org upstream kernels anyhow, would be to easy ;-) We base of the ubuntu-bionic LTS kernel and merge 4.14 LTS and 4.19 LTS stuff in regularly... This allows to create synergies regarding testing and patching. Initial Ryzen temperature support got in in kernel 4.11, I just checked - not sure if 2XXX is much different and got in later though.

Temp readouts come as from kernel 4.16.
Did you install this on PVE and test there, or another machine/distro. Because then it may just be that lm-sensors is to old here, so userspace not kernel issue. Could make sense.

Reactions: finish06

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!