Proxmox 4.1 USB passthrough release

DottedLine

Dec 13, 2015
I have passthrough working with my GPU. I've passed my usb keyboard and mouse through to the vm using usb#: host=xxxx:xxxx. There is no issue with them working in the vm. The issue is with the host.

When I start the vm from the host machine I lose all usb devices plugged into the host. Is there a way around this? I would only like to lose the devices that I pass to the vm.

The next issue I have is that the host does not get control of the usb devices when the vm shuts down. So after I shutdown my vm, I either have to ssh into it to do anything or reboot it.

Now, If I set up a second vm with passthrough, will the usb/gpu be available to it after I shutdown the first vm or will I have to reboot before starting it?

Yes and no. Part of the problem is the i915 module. When I use SeaBios and don't black i915, then I lose video. This seems to be a known issue, and I was mistaking the video not working as loosing devices.

What I've done now is used ovmf. I still have the same problem with the two usb controllers not getting recognized again when the vm shuts down. I can plug another keyboard into a port on a controller that I didn't pass through and everything will work fine.

I've used dmesg -w and started my vm. I can see the two usb controllers getting disconnected. When the vm shuts down they aren't reinitialized. lspci shows all four controllers, but lsusb only shows two. I'm not sure how to get the host to recognize that the controllers were released back to it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!