proxmox 2.6.35 and Windows Web Server 2008 R2 - virtio ethernet lost connection

hk@

Renowned Member
Feb 10, 2010
Vienna
kapper.net
Hi
it seems we hit a similar virtio-ethernet-bug that hit Ubuntu 10.04.2 too also on W2k8 R2 (Version 6.1 Build 7600).

It worked fine for months on 2.6.32 but as we upgraded proxmox to 2.6.35 it kicked it's network connectivity (virtio eth mapped to vmbr6 on the host - nothing else was/is connected to this vmbr6).

After two reboots it worked again for a few hours then network connectivity got lost again. We removed the virtio-ethernet and added intel e1000 - now it seems to work fine again.

Regards
hk

PS.
:~# pveversion -v
pve-manager: 1.8-17 (pve-manager/1.8/5948)
running kernel: 2.6.35-1-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.35: 1.8-11
pve-kernel-2.6.35-1-pve: 2.6.35-11
qemu-server: 1.1-30
pve-firmware: 1.0-11
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-17
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.26-1pve4
vzdump: 1.2-12
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.14.0-3
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-5

hi
thanks for the link and the links in this thread, my point here is merely I'm looking for a stock-kind of install for the customer VM where we do not have to intervene using driver updates or other measures in order to get a stable VM there.

Our main usage for proxmox VE is especially the hybrid setup where OpenVZ and KVM virtual-machines are combind either in a cluster environment or on a single hardwarenode.

regards
hk

hi
thanks for the link and the links in this thread, my point here is merely I'm looking for a stock-kind of install for the customer VM where we do not have to intervene using driver updates or other measures in order to get a stable VM there.

if you do not use the latest drivers with fixed issues you will get an installation WITH issues. so I really do not understand why you don´t want to use drivers which are known to work.

Our main usage for proxmox VE is especially the hybrid setup where OpenVZ and KVM virtual-machines are combind either in a cluster environment or on a single hardwarenode.

regards
hk

in this case you can go for 2.6.18 or 2.6.32.

2.6.18 gots stable OpenVZ but not latest and greatest KVM - KVM works well on 2.6.18 but not as fast as with 2.6.32.

For best KVM performance you need to go with 2.6.32 or higher, latest KVM 0.14.1.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!