Proxmox 2.3 don't run after Upgrade

mechanicus

Renowned Member
Mar 30, 2009
Germany
I've a running HPHP DL385G5 server with an up to date Proxmox 2.2.
After updating to 2.3 with
Code:
apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
the server boot, load the ram-disk, I can see the well known messege of Firmware-Bug and other normal messeges for half a second and then it stopps with black monitor.

The same happens when booting in kernel 2.6.32-18-pve recovery and in kernel 2.6.32-14-pve.

and 2.6.32-17 boots correctly? what is the "well known firmware bug"?

2.6.32-17 was removed by the update.
I don't know, what's happens, but i find out, that the X-Server don't work properly after the update, so that this causes a black screen.

what x-server? did you install this manually? Proxmox VE does not need a x-server.

The problem ist solved. It concerns not the update to 2.3!

After a long time, I decided to watch the start of the server personally on its own display.
But there are 3 unfortunately events at the same time:

1.) Any kernel in the past changes the frambuffer. -> no display (I always connected the server by ssh, therefore I didn't realized it.)
2.) Update to the 2.3 -> Occasion to boot the server personally.
3.) My build in backup-disk (2 TB) has reached it maximum mounts at exact the same time, after I boot (checking the disk for a long time).

This causes a black screen and no ping after 5 minutes, so that I thought, the server hangs.concerning the update.

I have now added "nomodeset" to the kernel line in the grub.cfg and now it runs well.

Thanks at all!!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!