Proxmox 2.1

paulwarren

Oct 29, 2013
Hi,

Are we still able to download proxmox 2.1?
I done a quick google search and everything links be back to proxmox site which gives a 404 error.

Reason for this, we are currently in the process of moving to a later version of proxmox but we required to do some local testing within the office. So need to replicate our current live setup to do some furter testing before migration to a new version of proxmox.

The next question, ( I think I know the answer)

Can you restore a CT from version 3+ to 2.1? e.g backwards.

I never tried this. I assume it depends on the container. But why do you want this?

2.1 is very outdated.

Basically we have a live ct which we need to run some backups on, We are not sure if it's stable enough to take backups, I think / heard 2.1 the snapshot stopped / slowed the container down causing the site to go down. We have a near enough mirror of the live site (staging site) that is running on a newer ct on proxmox v3, so we want to restore to 2.1 and run some tests on it to make sure everything looks ok and runs ok before we try to take a snapshot of the live site.

So i've downloaded the latest snapshot of the staging site from proxmox 3, i've installed 2.1 on a test machine here and tried to restore with the following errors.

extracting archive '/var/lib/vz/dump/vzdump-openvz-109-2015_10_09-00_20_59.tar.lzo'
lzop: <stdin>: Checksum error
tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
command 'tar xpf /var/lib/vz/dump/vzdump-openvz-109-2015_10_09-00_20_59.tar.lzo --totals --sparse -C /var/lib/vz/private/100' failed: exit code 2

does it work with gz compression (instead of lzo)?

the repo for 2.1 is here:
if you need the ISO, please contact our commercial support via https://my.proxmox.com, I assume you have a support contract already? ;-).

...would it be illegal to share past official proxmox ISOs? I still have many of them
and why past ISO are removed from the website, leaving only latest...?
if one is running an older version (say, 3.1) and needs to repair a broken node, before upgrading to later versions, how is he supposed to do?

Marco

Last edited:
...would it be illegal to share past official proxmox ISOs? I still have many of them
and why past ISO are removed from the website, leaving only latest...?

as we only support latest releases (currently 3.x and 4.x), we do not want to re-distribute outdated and not supported ISO images. therefore, we remove them from the official download locations.

we provide old ISO on request for all our subscribers, like we did it already in this case.

if one is running an older version (say, 3.1) and needs to repair a broken node, before upgrading to later versions, how is he supposed to do?

Marco

you can repair a 3.1 installation by booting any 3.x ISO in debug mode (or with any other linux live distro, depends on what you want to "repair").

as we only support latest releases (currently 3.x and 4.x), we do not want to re-distribute outdated and not supported ISO images.

ok, but would it be illegal? would one damage proxmox, doing so?

you can repair a 3.1 installation by booting any 3.x ISO in debug mode (or with any other linux live distro, depends on what you want to "repair").

suppose I have to reinstall a 3.1 node from scratch, now.

Marco

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!