Proxmox 2.1 synchro storage

snarf77

Dec 6, 2011
Hi all,

I was using proxmox 1.9 and updated to 2.0 beta for a while in cluster configuration. At that time I had to configure by hand a drbd storage to host virtual machine and I performed VM migration manually in case of physical node problem.

I tried today the 2.1 version with two servers and wanted to test the HA feature.

I must confess I don't understand fully of this works compared to previsou version and most documentation I found is always related to 2.0 version so I never know if this is still up to date or not.

My main question is consequently fairly simple: how do we configure a synchronised file system between two cluster node, is that automatic in 2.1 when you select "managed by HA" on a VM ? or do you still need to manage the storage syncrho manually ?

If included, how do you check to synchro status ?

Today I just created one VM and choose managed by HA, but stopping the cluster node on which I create the VM caused no migration and I was unable to relaod it from other node. I guess, I was probably not synchronised on both nodes but really don't know how to check this ?

At last, when I did it the manual way for 2.0 version, I had dedicated an additionnal network interface for drbd syncrho in order to save the rest of the bandwith for the real business use. Where can we configure this in 2.1 ? (if possible of course ...)

Thanks in advance for your help and congratulations to the dev team for such a wonderful product !!

Keep on going

Snarf

Hi all,

I was using proxmox 1.9 and updated to 2.0 beta for a while in cluster configuration. At that time I had to configure by hand a drbd storage to host virtual machine and I performed VM migration manually in case of physical node problem.

I tried today the 2.1 version with two servers and wanted to test the HA feature.
Hi,
HA with 2 nodes are not realy recommended because you get easy trouble without quorum.
I must confess I don't understand fully of this works compared to previsou version and most documentation I found is always related to 2.0 version so I never know if this is still up to date or not.
2.x is complety different to 1.x - but between 2.1 and 2.0 are not much differences (more stuff from the roadmap is included).
My main question is consequently fairly simple: how do we configure a synchronised file system between two cluster node, is that automatic in 2.1 when you select "managed by HA" on a VM ? or do you still need to manage the storage syncrho manually ?
Managed by HA mean only, that this VM will be restartet on a other node if the node, where this VM currently is running, fails.
You mean the storage switch "shared", which mean, that all nodes see the same content - this is the same on pve 1.x.
If included, how do you check to synchro status ?
syncro status? you must use an storage which are the same on all nodes - this can be lvm on FC/iSCSI/DRBD or NFS (lvm isn't an filesystem) or an clusterfilesystem.
Today I just created one VM and choose managed by HA, but stopping the cluster node on which I create the VM caused no migration and I was unable to relaod it from other node. I guess, I was probably not synchronised on both nodes but really don't know how to check this ?
No - if your DRBD isn't working your VM will started on the other node with old data - pve don't care about the drbd-status.
The HA fails, because with only one node you lost the quorum and /etc/pve is readonly. No changes are possible on the clusterconfig until you get back the quorum.
At last, when I did it the manual way for 2.0 version, I had dedicated an additionnal network interface for drbd syncrho in order to save the rest of the bandwith for the real business use. Where can we configure this in 2.1 ? (if possible of course ...)
Datacenter -> select Node -> Network

Udo

Hi Udo,

Many thanks for these clear and precise answers I really appreciate.

It appears I was dreaming a little bit and I had understood that the HA feature would include the DRBD management which was the point I wanted to avoid as I'm not an IT expert and found this a little bit touchy to monitor and manage.
Unfortunately it was only a dream...perhpas on a future release ?? So between 2.0 and 2.1 (concerning the redundancy management I mean) the only difference is the 'automatic' restart in case of failover, is that correct ?

Concerning the quorum I totally share your point and I use three machine in production but did the test only with two as this only for discovery purpose...

Thanks you

Snarf

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!