Proxmox 1.8 and WIN2k8 R2 Update Problem (registry)

Kajel

Jul 29, 2011
Hi there,
i post the first time here, i hope my english is good enough to explain my Problem. <br>We got a Proxmox 1.8 Install and run there 3 Win2k8 machines. These are Live Systems, sometimes when we do Updates and restart the KVMs Windows update the Registry entrys, at this point the machines took a large Time to handle this. Actually we got the same Problem 1 of this machines need to be restarted and now it is the same with the registry update it runs very slowly.
I dont know where the Problem is and dont know how to solve this? Maybe the update of Registry ll take the next 2 days. Did anybody got the same Problems? How could i Solve this?
Mfg Kajel

Hi there,
i post the first time here, i hope my english is good enough to explain my Problem. <br>We got a Proxmox 1.8 Install and run there 3 Win2k8 machines. These are Live Systems, sometimes when we do Updates and restart the KVMs Windows update the Registry entrys, at this point the machines took a large Time to handle this. Actually we got the same Problem 1 of this machines need to be restarted and now it is the same with the registry update it runs very slowly.
I dont know where the Problem is and dont know how to solve this? Maybe the update of Registry ll take the next 2 days. Did anybody got the same Problems? How could i Solve this?
Mfg Kajel
Hi,
if i'm remember right, there are one (or more) threads about this in the forum. Try to use the find-option of the forum.

Is your performance well on the system (pveperf, right driver inside VM)?

Udo

@ Udo, i dont find anything that match my Problem :-(.

On the Options tab of your VM set the Video Adapter to "Standard VGA"
All windows VMs should use that setting.

You need to stop and then start the VM for this setting to take effect, a reboot will not work.

Thx, this is one step to get it faster. Is there something more what i can do, to speed that up?

Mfg Kajel

If you have a VM applying the updates slowly right now, this is what I would do:

NOTE: You risk loosing data without a clean shutdown, if you can not risk that do not do this.

Stop the VM
Change the video to Standard VGA
Start the VM
Watch it apply updates much faster
Enjoy the rest of your day

That is precisely what I did last time this happened to me.
I then proceeded to make this change on all windows VMs and now that applying updates screen is always fast.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!