Proxmo 4.x cluster in public network

charlesm1888

Apr 7, 2016
I have two Proxmox VE 4.1 nodes in differents networks in internet. Is possible create a cluster?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

no it is not recommended to create a cluster over the WAN.
You get more problems then it uses.

Hi,

no it is not recommended to create a cluster over the WAN.
You get more problems then it uses.
Ohh. I thought it's a easy way to migrate VM's between different locations. Only with a cluster I would have these benefit.
What are the possible problems?

First latency what you notice because you lose quorum and can't manage the node anymore.
Second you have to setup corosync with unicast because WAN do normally not support multicast.

First latency what you notice because you lose quorum and can't manage the node anymore.
Second you have to setup corosync with unicast because WAN do normally not support multicast.

When I have a 3 node cluster with a dedicate VPN between each node. Do I have a valid quorum when one node is offline (without HA Groups)? I think with a VPN there is no restriction for corosync multicast?

I think a good alternative is to create 3 independent nodes instead with a shared backup storage, like a samba share or something. When you want to migrate a VM, just make a backup to this storage and restore it on the other node.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!