Proposed change to GUI to cope with stupid people

bigfishinnet

Feb 2, 2010
Oh dear. I had a bit of a moment this morning. Trying to do a little bit of work surrounded by three kids trying to fry my brain - its my fault but...

I might be being picky but good design should be explicit without chance of error to cover the worst of brain dead over stressed folk :)

PIC1 shows the summary in the GUI if you click on your proxmox host in the search tab nothing really outstanding but uptime and what is running.

pic1.png

Now if I dig a little deeper by clicking on a host for instance the hardware tab I see details about the hardware for the VM and I can add hardware here and edit exisiting hardware. TOP right I have start, stop, console, remove and migrate.

My suggestion is to move remove and migrate to another view. Maybe in the host summary and search tab? In my confusion I was attempting to remove a network card but instead I clicked on the remove the sodding host! Opps (hangs head bang bang). In my defense there are 2 removes on VM detailed info one to deal with hardware and one to remove the whole VM.

pic3.png

The issue I see is that this highlevel work - remove and migrate - should not nessarily be display alongside (viewable in VM details) VM detailed operations like adding new hardware or editing hardware or changing the options of a VM but it should be at a level appropriate with proxmox host work.

Just change the search tab name to VM List or something (there is already a field called search on the right hand side when you click on the search tab) and add the menu options in the same sort of position migrate and remove.

Please dont respond with you must have backups, etc as this is MY proxmox host and the machines are test environments :)

Anyway what do people think?

Stephen

Last edited:
Long shot? I have checked the images folder and VM ID but is there any other way to recover from an accidental remove?

Stephen

What do think of my point about the GUI.

I think having two remove buttons on the same page is a bad idea.
This has been argued and discussed before, you are not the first person to run across this issue.

Here is my old post explaining, with a screen shot, that two remove buttons is confusing:
http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/93...oss-through-human-oversight?p=52836#post52836

I do feel this should be fixed, simply renaming the "remove VM button" to "destroy" or "delete" would be a very good improvement to the GUI and require little work to accomplish.

I think having two remove buttons on the same page is a bad idea.
This has been argued and discussed before, you are not the first person to run across this issue.

Ahh I am glad I am not alone on this one - is anyone listening - it is an issue!

Here is my old post explaining, with a screen shot, that two remove buttons is confusing:
http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/93...oss-through-human-oversight?p=52836#post52836

I do feel this should be fixed, simply renaming the "remove VM button" to "destroy" or "delete" would be a very good improvement to the GUI and require little work to accomplish.

Human oversight is a deep failing of mine ;-)

Your post is spot and the comments also. Today I was thinking about making the "are you sure" pop up dialogue in RED?

The Search tab on the node menu is also strange? Yes just renaming the button might help but, in my mind, I was working IN the VM not on the proxmox node so in removing something my mind thought it was related to the VM and not the actual node itself. I think the layout needs revising to how your brain is thinking and adjusting what is front of them.

Analogy thinking time: The normal controls to fly a plane are positioned around the pilot (if you watch an old ww2 film or top gun) the ejector seat handle is under the seat. The emergency stop button on a train is big red button above the driver head.

Glad people are spotting these issues before something bad happens it looks like it just needs implementing ?

Stephen

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!