Properly delete created directorys and ZFS pool

unholyhumorousunratedoat

Sep 18, 2019
Hi guys,

as written here, I'm new to proxmox. I have 3 Disks in my Server (DELL PowerEdge T20): 120GB SSD (where I installed proxmox on a ZFS filesystem), 1TB Toshiba HDD, 3TB WD Red HDD.

There a a few more infos to my setup, but here I just want to know how I properly delete created directorys and ZFS pool
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/storage-type-for-nextcloud-data-directory.58148/

I created for fun on my 1TB HDD a directory and called it storage. Then I unmounted that via shell command "umount -R /mnt/pve/storage.
After that I ran "fdisk /dev/sda" and created a new partition label (gpt) and wrote that changes in hope, that the entry under "Directory" vanish. But it didn't :(
Then I did the same thing but now called it storage2.
How can I delete those directorys?
1568810104635.png

After that, I created (for testing) with that same HDD a ZFS pool also called storage.
And I think you guess it - I don't know how to delete it.

1568810200141.png

The shell command "zpool destroy storage" also doesnt work.

root@pve:/storage# zpool destroy storage
umount: /storage: target is busy.
cannot unmount '/storage': umount failed
could not destroy 'storage': could not unmount datasets

Manually unmounting also doesn't work because it's not mounted. Rebooting the node also didn't help.

1568810377569.png

Here it seems like there is something mounted to /storage, but again "umount -f /storage" doesnt work.

1568810451856.png

root@pve:/storage# umount -f /storage
umount: /storage: target is busy.

Thank you in advance guys :)

How can I delete those directorys?
those are systemd mount units located under

/etc/systemd/system/

e.g. /etc/systemd/system/mnt-pve-storage.mount

when you delete those files, the entries disappear and systemd does not try to mount it anymore

to add a zfs storage for your existing zfs pool, click add->zfs in the storage view and select your zpool

Ah thank you so much! Deleting those two files worked!

Unfortunately there isn't a file for my "old" ZFS pool called storage. How can I delete that?

1568901859064.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!