Propagation of pool permissions to member VMs?

May 12, 2022
Hi,

I'm using the feature of granting permissions for groups on VM pools for the first time. There's one thing I don't completely understand: should pool permissions be propagated to member VMs ("propagated" in the sense of: being visible in VMs permissions)? I'm very sure that in the case of one pool this propagation happened, then on the next it didn't, and then I couldn't reproduce it anymore. I see that permissions on pools work for VMs even when they are not visible in VMs permissions. I could just accept this now, but I also think it's a little confusing when you look at a VMs permissions, which are empty, but permissions are effectively in place. Maybe someone can explain how this SHOULD work.

thx
Matthias

Yes, the permissions tab is just for explictily granted permissions, not implicit ones. AFAIK, there is no way to see the actual given permissions as a list, just by looking at what you can do with the VM.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!