Promiscuous mode for VM

Morphushka

Jun 25, 2019
Syberia
Hello. I want to install some kind of special software for blocking traffic. My colleague successfully install it on esxi and this require promiscuous mode enabled.
I found I can enable promisc mode on host system like this:
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp3s0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.244.253
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.244.254
bridge_ports enp3s0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0
up /sbin/ip link set enp3s0 promisc on

but it is enable promisc for whole host.
1) Can I do this mode just for concrete VM ?
2) Is it dangerous (or other limitations) to do it for host it self ?
Thanks!

Which software are you referring to?
setting the bridge-port to promiscous (up /sbin/ip link set enp3s0 promisc on) is not necessary since ifup does this anyways (else the bridge would not get all traffic for other mac-addresses)

depending on where you want to run the software - you might need to set the bridge itself to promiscous on - or you might need to disable mac-learning on the bridge (by setting the bridge_ageing parameter to 0)

There are a few threads on this forum, which deal with similar questions (search for 'mirror port', 'span port', snort, suricata)

I hope this helps!

is not necessary since ifup does this anyways
Then why I don't see "PROMISC" status on my host interfaces ?
Code:
4: enp5s0f0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,SLAVE,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq master bond0 state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:1b:21:a7:95:74 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
5: enp5s0f1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,SLAVE,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq master bond0 state UP group default qlen 1000
6: bond0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,MASTER,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue master vmbr0 state UP group default qlen 1000
7: vmbr0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP group default qlen 1000
    inet xx.xx.xx.xx/26 brd xx.xx.xx.xx scope global vmbr0
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet6 xxxx::xxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx/64 scope link
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

I just have this on tap interfaces which belongs to VMs:
Code:
root@vega:~# ip a | grep PROMISC
28: tap202i0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,PROMISC,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast master fwbr202i0 state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
408: tap218i0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,PROMISC,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast master fwbr218i0 state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
176: tap212i0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,PROMISC,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast master fwbr212i0 state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000

or I look in wrong place ?
Which software are you referring to?
Open source project on github ext-filter
It use at least 2 nic: 1 for incoming (mirrored) traffic and 2 for answering. Check incoming traffic for http/https requests and if site in block list, then send reset answer.

Thanks for answer, I try to search forum that keywords.

@Stoiko Ivanov
why promiscous mode and not a proper way like:
bridge fdb add LXC_KVM_MADDR dev PHYNAME
(just for interrest, not as attack xD)

does mac-learning works in PHY to avoid that?

hm?
not quite sure I understand that - but the bridge(8) manpage seems to indicate that the command `bridge fdb add MACADDR dev PHYNAME` simply adds a forwarding entry for a mac-address to the bridgeport?
how does this affect the promiscuous mode of the interface - and how does it cause all traffic to be handed to a particular interface port?

(simply have not seen an example of such a thing - and think that the port still would need to be in promiscous mode not to discard any packets not for it's own mac-address...)

Well i thought it this way:
Promiscuous listens for all macaddresses
And if you don't run promiscuous, you can add additional macaddresses to that listening list xD

But okay 2 different things.

In my case on my server, i have this structure:
-enp35s0f0 (phy)
--- vmbr0 (bridge) (multiple lxc container)
--- sr-iov0 (virt function) (kvm-opnsense)
--- sr-iov1 (virt function) (kvm-w10)

And i need to add with bridge fdb add ... every macaddress that is hosted on vmbr0 to enp35s0f0. Including the macaddress from vmbr0 itself xD

If i don't do it, sr-iov functions can't reach anything on vmbr0.

I have a script for this that i have wrapped into a service etc... So it works all fine. But thinked of other options.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!