Professional work with PVE ???

fever_wits

Renowned Member
Sep 13, 2009
Bulgaria
vm.hgs.name
Hello, you used an administrator PVE their workplace?
If yes, I asked him to share his impressions.
And if you can share that use OpenVZ or KVM virtualization.
I am thinking to transfer part of servers operating from real machines virtual machines.
I am trying to gather impressions on how the PVE under load.

Sorry for my bad English
Greetings: A.Hristov

Hello, you used an administrator PVE their workplace?
Hi,
do you mean, that I use pve for virtualisation in the comany where I work? Yes with 7 servers.
Or, that my admin-workstation is an pve-host? No, only a test laptop at home.
If yes, I asked him to share his impressions.
And if you can share that use OpenVZ or KVM virtualization.
I am thinking to transfer part of servers operating from real machines virtual machines.
I am trying to gather impressions on how the PVE under load.

Sorry for my bad English
Greetings: A.Hristov
OpenVZ is a nice solution for lightweigt servers like web, dhcp and dns (the VM use the same kernel like tho host). If you need kernel-modules inside the VM go for kvm.

The bottleneck with virtualisation is normal IO and then RAM - use fast storage (raid-controller) with plenty of RAM and you are happy ;)

Udo

I think Udo just said he uses it at work (professionally).
If by "their work professionally, not tests" you mean "do you use Proxmox at work to run virtual production servers, not only test servers", I'm sure the answer will be yes, as well..

As for asking for impressions about load: I'm sure a standard answer will be to try a test setup and see how it works... Apart from that, I think there are quite a number of forum posts that give more information on number of virtual machines per physical server etc.

I'm running a home/hobby system on a machine with 8GB RAM; have a KVM router, a couple of db servers, a Jenkins CI server etc running. The thing is, they don't run under a lot of load so it's an easy fit.
As said, on production/bigger systems, your storage and memory will likely have a large impact on performance..

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!