Problems using distrobox/toolbox using rootless Podman in LXC container

koalillo

Nov 1, 2018
Hi,

Thanks to a few Reddit threads, I got rootless Podman to work inside an LXC container. However, my intention was to use distrobox/toolbox, and it doesn't work.

I've documented everything in detail here:

https://github.com/alexpdp7/alexpdp7/issues/10

; the gist is that these tools create containers with --userns keep-id --volume /dev:/dev:rslave, and then use podman exec -t to connect to the container, and this combination does not work.

Any idea on how to make it work?

Cheers,

Álex

Last edited:
Ugh, I think my "reproduction" is not valid. podman exec -t fails with:

Code:
Error: crun: chown `/dev/pts/4`: Operation not permitted: OCI permission denied

while toolbox/distrobox fail with:

Code:
open /dev/pts/4: No such file or directory: OCI runtime attempted to invoke a command that was not found

So actually a way to reproduce the distrobox/toolbox error is:

Code:
[alex@ws ~]$ podman run -d --mount type=devpts,destination=/dev/pts --userns keep-id --volume /dev:/dev:rslave registry.access.redhat.com/ubi9/ubi:latest sleep infinity
53aa717c1fc562f3b0f363f0ceb4a737fb749ea715295b83b4884955fadbae78
[alex@ws ~]$ podman exec -it 53aa bash
Error: crun: open /dev/pts/4: No such file or directory: OCI runtime attempted to invoke a command that was not found

Any ideas?

How did you get rootless Podman to work inside unpriviledged LXC containers?

Check his github link
I'm having this issue:

Code:
[sysadmin@nixos-starfish:~]$ podman info
ERRO[0000] running `/run/wrappers/bin/newuidmap 2268 0 1001 1 1 100000 65536`: newuidmap: write to uid_map failed: Operation not permitted
Error: cannot set up namespace using "/run/wrappers/bin/newuidmap": exit status 1
Is there a line in that .conf that addresses this issue?

Edit:
Noticed you don't have
Code:
unprivileged: 1

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!