Problems installing on Core2 Duo system

clone90

May 5, 2008
I am trying to do a bare metal install on an Intel Core2 Duo system (E6550) with an Intel Q35 Express chipset. I have enabled the VTx and VTd functionality in the BIOS. The system has 1GB RAM with a SATA HDD. I am doing the install from a DVD that I burned from the v0.9 ISO image.

My problem is that very soon after the install starts (after I hit ENTER at the 'boot:' prompt), the system goes to a blank screen and just stops...no text indicating what has happened, no hard drive or CD-ROM activity.

Any idea what may cause this problem and/or how to avoid it or work around it?

Thanks!

I am trying to do a bare metal install on an Intel Core2 Duo system (E6550) with an Intel Q35 Express chipset. I have enabled the VTx and VTd functionality in the BIOS. The system has 1GB RAM with a SATA HDD. I am doing the install from a DVD that I burned from the v0.9 ISO image.

My problem is that very soon after the install starts (after I hit ENTER at the 'boot:' prompt), the system goes to a blank screen and just stops...no text indicating what has happened, no hard drive or CD-ROM activity.

Any idea what may cause this problem and/or how to avoid it or work around it?

Thanks!

Hi,

I assume the problem is the on board graphic card. To workaround just use a dedicated graphic card instead of the on board chip - if possible.

Hi,

I too have been having some trouble installing v0.9 onto a core 2 duo system with the same symptoms occuring. Looking around on the internet using trusty old google it appears that my chipset is possibly at fault due to it using the Intel Q965 chip (as the kernal version does not support it properly). I have managed to install proxmox just using the "linux pci=nommconf" at the install prompt this is supposed to stop the use of mmconfig.

However now when it boots it gets to using the ACPI which is a few steps after it says its using MMCONFIG, and i'm not sure how to get around this?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!