Problem with VT-x in Virtual Machine

s.graf

Jul 26, 2012
My configuration is:

HARDWARE : SERVER IBM with 2 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) esa CPU E5645 @ 2.40GHz - 36 GB ram
http://ark.intel.com/products/48768...-E5645-(12M-Cache-2_40-GHz-5_86-GTs-Intel-QPI)

SOFTWARE : PROXMOX Version 2.1-1/f9b0f63a

I've 3 Virtual Machine runnig without problem.

I need to create a new virtual machine A (IBM-> Proxmox-> Win7) and install another virtualization software to start up another virtual machine B (IBM-> Proxmox-> Win7-> VirtualBox/VMWare-> Win7).
I tried both VMware or VirtualBox but I always get an error like: the VT-x hardware acceleration is not available on the system
The problem seems to be that in the virtual machine A (IBM-> Proxmox-> Win7) is not enabled the 'VT-x hardware acceleration'.

Any suggestions?

P.S. Sorry for my english!

My configuration is:

HARDWARE : SERVER IBM with 2 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) esa CPU E5645 @ 2.40GHz - 36 GB ram
http://ark.intel.com/products/48768/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5645-(12M-Cache-2_40-GHz-5_86-GTs-Intel-QPI)

SOFTWARE : PROXMOX Version 2.1-1/f9b0f63a

I've 3 Virtual Machine runnig without problem.

I need to create a new virtual machine A (IBM-> Proxmox-> Win7) and install another virtualization software to start up another virtual machine B (IBM-> Proxmox-> Win7-> VirtualBox/VMWare-> Win7).
I tried both VMware or VirtualBox but I always get an error like: the VT-x hardware acceleration is not available on the system
The problem seems to be that in the virtual machine A (IBM-> Proxmox-> Win7) is not enabled the 'VT-x hardware acceleration'.

Any suggestions?

P.S. Sorry for my english!
Hi,
to use hardware-virtualization inside a VM nested virtualization is necessary. First only amd-cpus support that, but intel must do a lot work (because of they virtualization) and support this later as well.

Search for "nested virtualization" how to switch on this feature.

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!