Problem with (very) slow restore for CT

hakim

Oct 4, 2010
Hello and happy new year,

I just installed 2 servers with the last version of proxmox (last image + updates).

On these 2 servers, I am able to restore some CTs but for (at least) 2 other CTs :
- the restore process starts,
- the corresponding disks is filled quite quickly
- and suddenly, it gets very slow (20 Mb / 1 min),
and I cannot figure out why.

If I try to restore those 2 CTs on the proxmox server where they have been generated (v6.4-15), they are restored in 3 minutes, and if I had to wait to restore them on my new server, it would take something like 10 hours !

The backup source is on the same machine (on HD drives) so not a network issue.
The size of the CT is around 7 Go and the backup file around 4 Go.
During the restore process, the first 4,4Go are copied in about 1 minute, and then it start stucking always around 4,4 Go with about (20 Mb / 1 min) !

The 2 servers use ZFS as file system and have :
- 2 SSD (in raid 1)
- 2 HD (in raid 1)

The transfer of large data (many To) with "zfs send" was fast anb OK.

Normally, my CTs are stored on the SSD, but I have also tried to store them on the HDs, with the same problem.

When the restore is stucked, looking at Top shows the process "tar" at 100%

My backup use ZSTD as compression, and I also tried to backup without compression, and same problem.

For the faster server, I have :
Code:
root@prismox1:~# pveperf /tmp
CPU BOGOMIPS:      192005.44
REGEX/SECOND:      4 245 656
HD SIZE:           860.50 GB (rpool/ROOT/pve-1)
FSYNCS/SECOND:     15058.50
DNS EXT:           8.37 ms
DNS INT:           1.75 ms (iandi.fr)

Nothing special in journalctl

Here what I get in the GUI console when I try to restore :
Unable to restore CT 1095 - command 'set -o pipefail && cstream -t 0 | tar xpf - --zstd --totals --one-file-system -p --sparse --numeric-owner --acls --xattrs '--xattrs-include=user.*' '--xattrs-include=security.capability' '--warning=no-file-ignored' '--warning=no-xattr-write' -C /var/lib/lxc/1095/rootfs --skip-old-files --anchored --exclude './dev/*'' failed: received interrupt

Code:
recovering backed-up configuration from 'backup:backup/vzdump-lxc-1095-2023_01_01-18_45_08.tar.zst'
restoring 'backup:backup/vzdump-lxc-1095-2023_01_01-18_45_08.tar.zst' now..
extracting archive '/backup/proxmox/dump/vzdump-lxc-1095-2023_01_01-18_45_08.tar.zst'
TASK ERROR: unable to restore CT 1095 - command 'set -o pipefail && cstream -t 0 | tar xpf - --zstd --totals --one-file-system -p --sparse --numeric-owner --acls --xattrs '--xattrs-include=user.*' '--xattrs-include=security.capability' '--warning=no-file-ignored' '--warning=no-xattr-write' -C /var/lib/lxc/1095/rootfs --skip-old-files --anchored --exclude './dev/*'' failed: received interrupt

The "TASK ERROR" happen when I stop the process which take too long.

Any help, will be greatly appreciated,

Hakim

Last edited:
After further tests, I found the problem : in my VM I had a large cache with many little files.
By emptying the cache before the backup, I was then able to restore it.

But, what I do not understand is why I could restore this VM on my previous proxmox server (v6.4) and cannot restore it on my new server with Proxmox 7.3, and which is "stronger" (better hardware config) ?

After further tests, I found the problem : in my VM I had a large cache with many little files.
By emptying the cache before the backup, I was then able to restore it.

But, what I do not understand is why I could restore this VM on my previous proxmox server (v6.4) and cannot restore it on my new server with Proxmox 7.3, and which is "stronger" (better hardware config) ?

What do you mean with "my VM I had a large cache"?
How do you emptying the cache?

Reactions: Zaman
>> What do you mean with "my VM I had a large cache"?
A PHP / Symfony and Git cache

>> How do you emptying the cache?
By deleting the files in these cache

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!