[SOLVED] Problem with reinstalling a node of a cluster

Feb 17, 2020
Hi,

I followed this guide to reinstall a node of my cluster step-by-step:

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Proxmox_VE_2.0_Cluster#Re-installing_a_cluster_node

Two things I did different:
- The 'cman' service did not exist in my case so stopping / starting didn't work but I ignored that.
- A copied the backup…tar.gz files to another host via scp and restored them afterwards because obviously reinstalling a PVE host would destroy them.

The first host is running, the second host is running, the cluster information were correctly restored but one host cannot connect to the other:
- proxmox (is untouched)
- proxmox2 (is reinstalled)

This is a screenshot from the untouched node:

1594886882493.png

This is a screenshot from the reinstalled node:

1594886910165.png

It's clear that communication does not work between the two nodes.

I think I know what causes it but I don't understand it:

- SSH from proxmox2 (reinstalled) -> proxmox (untouched) works fine
- SSH from proxmox (untouched) -> proxmox2 (reinstalled) throws a public key changed error

1594887001989.png

Now I don't understand this because all the /root/.ssh files were restored from the backup and it's clearly visible from the timestamps that they are:

1594887061077.png

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Reactions: davidand
Hi @Stoiko Ivanov - thanks for your quick response.

I didn't notice that I'm reading an old manual, thanks for pointing out. I read the document you sent above. Let me just confirm:

In order to reinstall one custer node I need to do the following:

1) Remove the node fro the cluster: Remove a Cluster Node

2) The follow these insutrctions:

If, for whatever reason, you want this server to join the same cluster again, you have to
  • reinstall Proxmox VE on it from scratch
  • then join it, as explained in the previous section.
After removal of the node, its SSH fingerprint will still reside in the known_hosts of the other nodes. If you receive an SSH error after rejoining a node with the same IP or hostname, run pvecm updatecertsonce on the re-added node to update its fingerprint cluster wide.

Is that correct?

The reference docs describe the working procedure - so yes :)

@Stoiko Ivanov - OK, I think I'm having a problem here.

Since proxmox2 cluster node was shut down before removing it, it does not show up in the command line and I can't seem to be able to remove it following the guide above:

Code:
root@proxmox:~#  pvecm nodes

Membership information
----------------------
    Nodeid      Votes Name
         1          1 proxmox (local)

root@proxmox:~# pvecm delnode proxmox2
cluster not ready - no quorum?

However, I do see the node in the WebUI:

1594894116199.png

I think this is a fairly normal situation as a cluster node can just die from hardware failure, what is the right way to do now?

Thanks!

it's described a bit further down in the reference documentation I linked above:
If the command failed, because the remaining node in the cluster lost quorum when the now separate node exited, you may set the expected votes to 1 as a workaround:

pvecm expected 1
And then repeat the pvecm delnode command.

Reactions: davidand
@Stoiko Ivanov - Thanks, it worked!

I did:

1) pvecm expected 1
2) pvecm delnode proxmox2
3) Reinstall proxmox2 from scratch (same hostname, same IP address)
4) Rejoin the cluster

Surprisingly enough I don't even get any SSH key warnings when ssh-ing from proxmox to proxmox2 therefore even the new SSH keys were synced automatically.

Reactions: Stoiko Ivanov

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!